InstantSSL flagged as "Engaged in malware distribution" by hpHosts

Whereas www.instantssl.com was the only site with such (2nd level) domain name listed in the database, could it have been possible that instantssl.com query did not match www.instantssl.com ?

Though the query was “instantssl.com” and the www. prefix note was displayed:

EDIT: The “This site is not listed …” notice, applied to instantssl.com only, it didn’t apply to www.instantssl.com

The first table with a “This site is NOT currently listed in hpHosts” heading on a green background include a row Host: www.instantssl.com
Whereas at the bottom of the picture, after the “Database record” table, there is a “MX record for: www.instantssl.com” row

It really looks like that the “is listed with the WWW prefix only” note was only meant to inform that while the running a query using “instantssl.com” the results were those that would have been obtained using a query “www.instantssl.com

I hoped to confirm this aspect whereas after reading your comments I was concerned that the “This site is NOT currently listed in hpHosts” result which appeared to be meant for www.instantssl.com was not correct but actually due to the query that didn’t include a leading www. prefix.

This was the reason I previously asked if anybody should be discouraged to rely on a query result if that “is listed with the WWW prefix only” note is mentioned.

While waiting for monday I guess some members might be interested in a trusttoolbar review still featured on PCWorld online site.

Though I understand that the last installer dates back to 2005 and that Trusttoolbar was superseded by Verification Engine

Pretty much, yes. Because www.instantssl.com is listed in the database, it will show the results for www.instantssl.com when you query for instantssl.com, and will show the relevant note to let you know.

That’s actually, exactly what is occuring.

The “This site is NOT currently listed in hpHosts” is correct, because whilst www.instantssl.com was listed, instantssl.com was not.

No problem at all, and apologies for any confusion.

With the above I understand that www.instantssl.com displayed all along in the query result is the address “This site is NOT currently listed in hpHosts” is referring to and meaning that www.instantssl.com was not listed in hpHosts

It is starting to get confusing again. ???

“This site is NOT currently listed in hpHosts” was not meant for www.instantssl.com?

If so I’ll change this post and any other you deem necessary to point out that all instances of www.instantssl.com should be ignored and that “This site is NOT currently listed in hpHosts” was not meant for www.instantssl.com.

The “This site is not listed …” notice, applied to instantssl.com only, it didn’t apply to www.instantssl.com

Thanks, I edited most posts where that image was included to mention the above words.

No problem :slight_smile: