Installing thumb drives

Hi all,

I’ve just started using Comodo Firewall as a standalone. I inserted a thumb drive into my laptop and an alert popped up asking if I want to allow my registry keys to be modified. I was wary of modifying the registry, so I blocked it and the “remember my answer” box was checked. Then I found out that I can’t install the drivers for the thumb drive because “access is denied”. I guessed that it had to do with my blocking the access, and after checking the log, I determined that I needed to change my settings. So I went to Defense+ → Advanced → Computer Security Policy → %windir%\system32\services.exe - Edit → Access Rights → Protected Registry Keys → Modify and added the key “HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\wudfsvc\Start”. Now, when I insert the thumb drive, I can use it as per normal without installing the drivers.

My question is: is what I did safe? If I were to plug in other devices, would I still be prompted by Comodo, which I prefer to be the case?

Thank you.

100% correct! Well done!

Please be aware that CIS will never create a permanent rule that allows unfettered access from files stored on a removable drive (like a flash drive or a CD). Removable drives are always considered untrusted and rules that allow actions from a removable device are per-session only rules. This is done because the media can be removed from a CIS protected PC, used and modified on a non-protected PC and then re-used on a CIS protected PC.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile: