incremental + simple copy

Hi
is there anyway to get simple copy and incremental backups to work as expected? I have created a full backup using simple copy and now want daily incremental backups. It seems to want to recreate the complete every time which takes quite a long time.
S

Hi

Please make sure you have the latest version of Comodo Backup 4.0.7.14
If the issue still exists, please let us know what and where are you trying to backup and any other non-default settings you might have used.

Thanks

I tried it again but on just one directory and it seemed to work as expected. What i would really like is for it to do a full backup once a week and incremental backups on the other days. However when i try using the full backup as a base (simple copy) for the incremental backups it gives an error.
S

Simple copy incremental backups automatically use as base the destination folder.
Specifying a base for incremental backup is possible only with cbu files.

Thanks

The other problem I have is that my weekly and daily backups run multiple times. The log says it has run successfully but then it starts running again. My weekly backup ran 4 times on 1 day!
S

Please collect the debug logs and export the registry key in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ComodoGroup\ComodoBackup\ScheduleList for analysis.
You can post them here or email them to me .

Thanks

Here are the debug logs. The incremental backup also seems to do the same thing as well as backing up some files that are not changed.
S

[attachment deleted by admin]

Please try this exe (place it in the installation folder and rename it to replace the original CBU.exe)
We found a potential cause of the issue and let us know if it works:
GUI.exe (64 bit OS)

Thanks

seems to fixed the problem with rerunning the scheduled backup. Still have problems with the incremental backup updating files when they don’t need to be. Could it be due to having the backup destination on a NAS drive?
S

I’m not sure.
If you can reproduce the issue with a smaller number of files (up to 10), please collect the debug logs again and post them for analysis.

Thanks

I tried the same incremental backup on a local drive (ie windows) and the result was as it should be with the incremental backup only taking 30s. Looking at the properties of the backed up files on the local drive vs the NAS drive there are differences such as the music drectory is labelled ‘my music’ on the local drive and ‘music’ on the NAS. As well a lot of the meta data for music files seems to be read differently on the NAS drive.
BTW the NAS is a Medion NAS-Server P89626
S

Could it be that the NAS file system is FAT32, while the source file system is NTFS?

Thanks

The file system is xfs.
S

This might be the cause because different file systems are used in source and destination simple copy backup.

Please try again this incremental simple copy backup process and look in the log for “Processing changed item …”. If you know that the file wasn’t changed, but this message is displayed while backing up please let me know. I can provide an exe with more debug messages so we can determine why the file is considered changed although it isn’t changed.

Thanks

The log says ‘processing new item’ for every file even though its not.
S

Please enable logging to file in backup step 3 and post the backup log with the debug logs.

Thanks

Here they are
S

I thought you were using CBU.exe for backup to NAS, but it seems that you are running the backups in service mode. The service is the one which came with 4.0.7.14 setup.

Please stop the synchronization service, replace it with this one, then start it again. After the backup runs, please post again the debug logs.

Thanks

Here they are:

It looks like the logs show no errors (as if the files processed as new don’t already exist on the NAS drive).
I added more debug messages. Can you please try again?
It might take one or two more tries until we find and fix the issue.

SynchronizationService.exe (64 bit OS - replace the existing SynchronizationService.exe file)

The only files I need for analysis are \windows\Temp\ComodoLogsFolder\SynchronizationService.exe.log and \windows\Temp\ComodoLogsFolder\SynchronizationService.exe.logold.log

Thanks