Incomplete KPF uninstall + Comodo Install = Crashes of Comodo

I was using Sunbelt Personal Firewall on a computer and decided to replace it with Comodo. Well uninstalled KPF, rebooted and tried to install Comdo. Comodo complained that Kerio was still installed. So I ran JV16 Registry cleaner rebooted and tried the install again. Same thing but this time I went ahead with the installation and rebooted the computer. Well Comodo refuses to run properly. It starts up but as soon as I try to right mouse click on the Systray icon to disable the popup info messages Comodo crashes.

Attached in the crash dump file.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Well I do not think Kerio is the problem as I got a removal tool from Sunbelt and this time around Comodo did not complain. However it is still terminating the GUI at least when I right mouse click on its Systray icon. Sigh.
???

Did you do a complete uninstall of both Kerio and Comodo and clean the registry of both? May have the remnants of a corrupted Comodo installation. See https://forums.comodo.com/help_for_v3/comprehensive_instructions_for_completely_removing_comodo_firewall_pro_3_info-t17220.0.html for Comodo removal instructions, including a script that should clean things up.

Sigh. Well after spending over 3 hours of trying to get Comodo installed and working I am about to give up. >:(

I downloaded the script file in the uninstall thread and ran it. The results of the last attempt are in the .txt file attached. This was after I ran the uninstall app from Sunbelt cleaned out KPF and rebooted and then tried installing Comodo.

The attached JPG file is the error I continue to see even in SAFE MODE after I exit the install. I get the similar type of message when Comodo Systray crashes in real mode.

[attachment deleted by admin]

(:AGY)

I’m truly sorry to hear about the protracted problems you’re having. Let me lob a couple of questions at you and see if I can help.

1. Are you trying to reinstall CFP in Safe Mode? That is the vague implication I got in your post above. If so, that won’t work, as certain Windows services, processes and drivers must be loaded for the installer to function properly.

2. In addition to running Ragwing’s uninstallation script (.bat), did you then attempt to remove CFP by following ALL of the steps in the comprehensive removal guide? It is a LOT of work, I know, but it may be the only method by which all remnants of CFP can be removed.

3. Have you performed a manual search of your registry for strings such as “Kerio”, “Sunbelt” and perhaps other descriptors that are unique to Kerio/Sunbelt? Most registry cleaners – even the best ones – will miss a few entries, which is why I recommend a manual search of the registry. Again, this will consume some time. You can either use the search function built into the Windows Registry or the search utility of a third-party registry management tool.

Don’t give up just yet. Let’s take one more stab at this.

1. Are you trying to reinstall CFP in Safe Mode? That is the vague implication I got in your post above. If so, that won't work, as certain Windows services, processes and drivers must be loaded for the installer to function properly.

I have tried normal mode after cleaning KPF out using their removal tool as well as running the removal script for Comodo. Went that had no affect at all on the problem I tried performing the same thing in Safe mode. Same result.

2. In addition to running Ragwing's uninstallation script (.bat), did you then attempt to remove CFP by following ALL of the steps in the comprehensive removal guide? It is a LOT of work, I know, but it may be the only method by which all remnants of CFP can be removed.

No I did not follow the comprehensive guide afterwards sinve the inital post in that thread seemed to infer that was what the script did. I did search for some of the registry entries and never found any. Only files/folders I found on the hard drive were the Comodo folder under Applications as well under Documents and Settings. Deletion of these directories had no effect on the problem.

Have you performed a manual search of your registry for strings such as "Kerio", "Sunbelt" and perhaps other descriptors that are unique to Kerio/Sunbelt? Most registry cleaners -- even the best ones -- will miss a few entries, which is why I recommend a manual search of the registry. Again, this will consume some time. You can either use the search function built into the Windows Registry or the search utility of a third-party registry management tool.

I did find one Kerio entry just now and deleted it.

When I have some spare time I will attempt to reinstall Comodo. Right now it has been a frustrating 2 days. I have recommended Comodo to others but never realized that the uninstall procedure manually is as bad as ZoneAlarm which I have had to remove from other peoples computers.