Include Offline Help File Documentation With CIS Installer [M1168]

1. What version of CIS, or Comodo Firewall, are you currently using:

2. What actually happened or you saw:
Users currently have the ability to request information of a specific feature by pressing on a question mark in the right corner of CIS.
However, currently every piece of documentation relies entirely on the official website. There is no offline documentation available. This is especially important if the user is using an older version of CIS which is no longer provided online.

3. What you wanted to happen or see:
By clicking on the question-mark users should have access to both online and offline documentation. This offline documentation should be included in the installer so that even after the Help Files for older versions of CIS are removed from the website, if a user installs the old version of CIS they should still have access to Help files for that version.

4. Why you think it is desirable:
This is favorable for users with limited internet connection or no internet browser at all. Not all users are able to be connected to the internet at all times.

Also, periodically documentation for older versions is removed from the website. Therefore, if offline documentation were included with the installer, those who prefer an older version can still access helpful advice and descriptions.

5. Any other information:
The Help File included with the installer could be a PDF, or whichever format is deemed most appropriate to Comodo.
Of course, any links related to support information should not be removed. For example, live support, forums, …

This feature has already existed in the early versions of comodo, it costs nothing to add again. >:-D

This sounds like a good wish. I have edited the first post, the title, and added a poll. Please look them over and let me know if everything correctly describes your wish, and is phrased correctly.

Thank you.

Good :-TU

Looks fine.

Thank you.

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

Have we remembered/realised there is already the ability to download the entire help documentation in PDF?

Note: The below link is a direct download 16.9 MB PDF-Version 7 Help.
Download PDF Help Documentation-CIS V7 16.9 MB

Kind regards.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hi,

As long-term solution it doesn’t solve the situation where documentation is removed (very old versions). There is support for only new versions.
A user might prefer an outdated version and come to the conclusion that documentation for that product does not exist anymore.
That is why I suggested offline documentation integrated (or both online and offline) in CIS.

Thank you.

I had not realized that the online Help Files have the option to be downloaded. That drastically changes this wish as it currently stands.

However, I think this wish could still be considered if rethought slightly. It seems to me that what is truly desired is for the user to still have access to the online help files through CIS. However, each version of CIS should automatically include a PDF version of the HELP files. This should probably be included in the installer. That way a user could, for example, download an installer for CIS V7. Then, when CIS V10 comes out, assuming the user did not like it, they can just grab their old installer for CIS V7, install it, and have access to the PDF of the HELP files, which would have long before been removed from the website.

qmarius, is this the sort of thing you are asking for?

Thanks.

Hi,

Exactly. That’s what I meant but not not necessarily a PDF version. Perhaps there is a better solution/format.

Thank you.

Do you have a suggestion for a different format? I chose PDF because that is the format which the online HELP files currently provide as an option. Also, what is wrong with the PDF format that you would be opposed to it?

Thanks.

PDF is indeed nice however the user will click on various features in CIS.
I’m assuming that if it’s a PDF it will just open - that’s wrong since the scope is to link exactly to the feature (as it will take less time). I never saw this format on a help file, only presentations/books.
I might be mistaken as I don’t have advanced knowledge regarding this format.

I suggest a MS Help file (.chm) since it is quite common.

Another reason might be that reading a PDF file requires additional software (PDF reader).
Of course, any other suggestion is welcome (if it is favorable for the user).

Thank you.

I have edited the first post, the title, and the Poll. Please look them over and let me know if everything looks correct.

Thanks.

It’s good.
Thank you.

In that case I have reset the poll, as the wish itself has changed. Please be sure to vote on this wish once again.

Thanks.

I still like the idea for the reasons pointed out by ‘qmarius’, but I think still have the option to download the help documentation during installation.
Otherwise the installer is just getting larger which is already a concern for some users.

Question during installation with a checkbox.
‘Would you like to download a local version of help for offline use?’

If that’s the case we should do something else,
Maybe COMODO should have a web installer which was already suggested here (and accepted as verified wish):
https://forums.comodo.com/verified-wish-reports-cis/create-an-optional-online-installer-m962-t102624.0.html
I assume that users will have the ability to check/uncheck the components they desire. Perhaps (offline) documentation should be by default unchecked.
And an offline installer which has all the features integrated (in the installer).

What do you think about this solution?

Yes I like the idea. :-TU :-TU :-TU

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As this wish has accumulated the necessary 15 points I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.