Import config from 3.14?

I plan to upgrade from CIS 3.14 (AV+FW+D+) to CIS 4.1.920 on my XPSP3 PC as follows:

1. Export the CIS config
  2. Download 32-bit version from Firewall Download | Best Firewall Security software for Windows
  3. Download cleanup tool from https://forums.comodo.com/install-setup-configuration-help-cis/cleanup-tool-for-comodo-internet-security-t36499.0.html
  4. Disconnect from the internet
  5. Disable AV, FW, D+
  6. Deactivate the Defense+ permanently under Defense+ Settings
  7. Reboot
  8. Uninstall CIS
  9. Reboot
  10. Run the CIS cleanup tool (download above)
  11. Reboot
  12. Install new CIS (downloaded above)
  13. Reboot
  14. Connect the internet
  15. Update CIS’ virus database
  16. Import the config from CIS 3.14

Did I miss anything?

I use D+ in Clean PC mode. On another PC with CIS 4.0, I notice that D+ has very few rules (Computer Security Policy) because it doesn’t create rules for trusted apps. If I import the config from CIS 3.14, will I get the large number of D+ rules (that will slow down my PC)?

That whole process is not really necessary. I just exported and uninstalled CIS (I know by now where CIS keeps all its registry keys and files, so I delete those after the uninstaller ran too). This is not needed though, because when you reinstall, it rewrites over all the old remnants. I then just imported my 3.14 config into 4.1 without a problem.

Two things worth noting:

CIS 4.xx has a new export configuration format (.cfgx), whereas the old 3.xx config files had no extension. If you try to rename the old config to a .cfgx, it will fail when importing. When the window opens where you can browse to select which config file you want to import, the extension is set to .cfgx. Just change it to “all files” and then it will let import the non .cfgx (3.14 config) file without a problem.

The second thing is, when importing a 3.14 config file into 4.xx, I notice a slow down when I update CIS’s policies or when I select a pop up “To Remember”. I guess the older configs are not optimized to work with 4.xx, but still work fine. So, from my experience, it doesn’t slow your PC down at all, it just takes a little longer to apply its policies (which makes the application hang for a few seconds before the rule is applied).