I'm looking for a 'real time' compression program?

Here’s the deal. I have a disk with a 200+GB of DVDs and I want to compress it so that I can squeeze a few more on, (can’t afford an new disk right now) but I want to be able to play the DVDs with out having to extract them first, and preferably, without taking a performance hit.

NTFS compression is pretty useless, and right now I can’t think of anything else. Any one got any ideas?

Oh, BTW, it must be free :-[ ;D

Toggie

I gave it a couple of minutes; found nothing on freeware sites. Google came up with this one: oberhumer.com: LZO real-time data compression library - don’t know if it’s of any use, and there’s no installer… :-\

What about compressing with DivX or XviD? Too much quality loss?

LA

Ill’search for another solution. But NTFS compression should be the way to go…
You can individually select the directories to compress. This way you can enable compression only when it is worth.

Thanks for that LA :slight_smile:

I’d rather keep the original format as most of the DVDs have all the extra goodies :slight_smile:

But NTFS compression should be the way to go...

I know gibran, I’ve really tried to like NTFS compression… I just don’t, it’s crude :frowning:

Toggie

I guess NTFS compression doesn’t help because the data is already compressed in its native format, so more efficient compression engines wouldn’t be much more of a help?

There are two ways to achieve compression in NT: Installable File Sistem (IFS) and File system drivers (FSD)

There is only an expensive Commercial Solution SolFS

A GPL Extensible Solution named Crossmeta File System Drivers ATM has no compressed file system addon but it would be possible due to the fact that there is GPL code for addons.

Yes Divx,Mpg,Mp3,Jpeg and other formats including dvd vobs are not suited for compression.
Maybe it would be possible to squeeze some MB compressing all those file in a Solid Archive (something like TGZ or Rar subtypes) but it would not be a viable solution for a FS. I assume that Compressed FS work on a per file basis.

NTFSRatio V1.2

NTFS offers file based compression but the compression rate isn't displayed anywhere. For any folder on an NTFS volume, NTFSRatio shows the size and the compression rate of this folder and also of its subfolders. Compression and decompression can be done inside NTFSRatio with immediate review of the result. Results can be printed or exported. NTFSRatio can be called from the Explorer context menu of any folder.

So the best way to gain some space is to compress all zippable data using NTFS compression.
You can compress file by extension using the compact commandline tool

compact /c /s *.txt
the data is already compressed in its native format

Good point, I’d forgotten about that. Looks like I’ll have to stump up for a bigger disk…

Thanks for the replies :slight_smile: