If you like ARPG games...

I’m not sure I like the currency system in the game.

Unless I’m missing something, it appears to be that the way to get more scrolls of wisdom, (In order to buy and identify items) you need to cart back normal (non-magical) items to sell. The shopkeepers don’t seem to offer scroll fragments for higher level items.

Carting lower level items back is not really a problem for me in general. I know that a lot of people in games like this tend only to pick up the higher level stuff, (some games even allow you to filter the visibility of low level loot drops) but I’ve always carted everything I find back to sell. (OCD perhaps? :smiley: )

The problem is that portal scrolls don’t have a high enough drop rate, and since they cost 3 scrolls of wisdom to purchase, it’s not very cost effective to purchase them. (It generally costs several inventories of items to pay for a single scroll) So I end up spending an inordinate amount of time running back to waypoints* for a free trip back to town.

Otherwise, if I’m running around only picking up the higher level items, I find that I don’t even have enough scrolls of wisdom to identify things… :-\

Is the idea here, that the game developers prefer that you don’t actually buy things from the shops? Or are they going to add some thingamajig that you can buy with real money to alleviate this problem. :cry:

* Waypoints bring up another issue… I prefer the method of set “world” areas with instanced “dungeons”. So things like waypoints will always be in the same spot. It’s frustrating when you’re relying on waypoints to cart items back, only to find that you need to re-explore the area to find the waypoint.

Any tips here, Radaghast? At the moment, it feels like a bit of a chore to play this game.

Overall, the game seems pretty stable, and I haven’t encountered any bugs.

I discovered a strange bug in Mythos that with the proper skills, you could use barrels or crates to recover HP. That was considered game breaking and an immediate patch was issued. :slight_smile:

It takes a little getting used to but I personally find it better than having something like gold.

Unless I'm missing something, it appears to be that the way to get more scrolls of wisdom, (In order to buy and identify items) you need to cart back normal (non-magical) items to sell. The shopkeepers don't seem to offer scroll fragments for higher level items.

Carting lower level items back is not really a problem for me in general. I know that a lot of people in games like this tend only to pick up the higher level stuff, (some games even allow you to filter the visibility of low level loot drops) but I’ve always carted everything I find back to sell. (OCD perhaps? :smiley: )

Everything drops and the further you progress the more scrolls you will pickup. Obviously, you can also get scrolls from vendors. It’s probably worth taking a look through - The Exiled Sale Recipe Book (spoilers)

In the early game it seems like a good idea to pickup everything but you’ll find it less desirable as you go on. In all honesty, it’s more cost effective to concentrate on blue and yellow items (magical and rare) There’s also brown items, which are unique. I tend to pick up white items, only if they have potential for enhancement, in the mid/late game.

The problem is that portal scrolls don't have a high enough drop rate, and since they cost 3 scrolls of wisdom to purchase, it's not very cost effective to purchase them. (It generally costs several inventories of items to pay for a single scroll) So I end up spending an inordinate amount of time running back to waypoints[b]*[/b] for a free trip back to town.

Portal scrolls are reasonably hard to come by early on but once you level a little, they will be easier to find and you won’t need to buy them. Really, I only use portal scrolls in extreme situations, like getting out of a nasty situation when I have no life/mana and certain death awaits. On a side note, there is a portal gem in game. I had one before the wipe. If you’re lucky, one may drop for you, but your can always try trading…

Otherwise, if I'm running around only picking up the higher level items, I find that I don't even have enough scrolls of wisdom to identify things... :-\

I really wouldn’t try identifying everything, just those that I want/need. A I said, by the time you get to level 20 or so the problem will probably have gone away.

Is the idea here, that the game developers prefer that you don't actually buy things from the shops? Or are they going to add some thingamajig that you can buy with real money to alleviate this problem. :'(

In almost all situations, you’ll probably get better items from drops. I seldom use the vendors unless I need an orb urgently. A far as real money purchases, i very much doubt you’ll be able to buy anything other than cosmetic items. Here’s a quote from Chris of GGG just prior to open beta:

As we've stated many times in the past, we have a strict policy against "pay-to-win". We're making sure all of the various options we offer for purchase don't convey actual game advantage.
[b]*[/b] Waypoints bring up another issue... I prefer the method of set "world" areas with instanced "dungeons". So things like waypoints will always be in the same spot. It's frustrating when you're relying on waypoints to cart items back, only to find that you need to re-explore the area to find the waypoint.

Which waypoints are you having problems with?

Any tips here, Radaghast? At the moment, it feels like a bit of a chore to play this game.

I’m sorry to hear that. All I can suggest is that you give it a little time. if you do, most of the things you’ve mentioned will change.

Just starting the game, I’m not sure what I want/need. :wink:

At the moment, it’s still a case of, oh, what is this? Ah, it has marksman bonuses, I guess that’s not meant for my character…

What does selling unidentified items do as far as the shopkeepers are concerned? I had already done some reading that the modifiers are what determines what you get when selling, (similar to the link you provided, thanks for that!) but is this still taken into account if you don’t identify an item? Or is the item viewed as a standard white item?

That’s usually how I tend to play games like this, but I still like to look on the off-chance that they may have something better than what I’m currently using.

Do you sell the various orbs you get, or do you use them to try for better items? The one that adds a new random modifier is pretty interesting, (Is there a cap on the number of modifiers an item can have?) but the one that replaces existing modifiers with new random ones is a bit less useful. (a bit like gambling in other games)

That is good to see.

All of them except the one in town. For example, I’ll have completed an area that contains a waypoint, and move on to the next area that doesn’t have a waypoint. If it takes me a while to clear (15 minutes?) when I go back to the area with the waypoint to travel back to town, it’s now a new randomized instance. I need to re-explore to find where the waypoint is now located. Or if I travel to the waypoint in an area I haven’t been to in a while, I need to then re-explore to find the exits…

I hope so! I was pretty excited to hear about this game. :slight_smile:

Just to say buzzing with PoE ;D
Took a little while to get to grips with it but my witch character is on fire, literally at times.
The skills tree needs to be studied quite away ahead - love the way you can veer away from your characters main attributes to create some awesome skills
Thanks for bringing this to the forum :-TU :-TU

I’m glad you’re enjoying it :slight_smile:

If you’re playing but haven’t seen this, it’s worth a read. Here’s a snippet:

The rest of the news is extremely positive and we're very proud of that! Path of Exile completely exceeded our expectations in terms of popularity and community reception. Even despite the peak-time server stability issues we're seeing amazing player concurrency, retention and engagement. We've have a daily active player count of around 287k players and a concurrent user record of 70k players online. The website currently receives about 650k views per day. Various metrics like Xfire list the game as one of the most popular online PC games being played at the moment. I just can't express with words how proud these results make us feel. Thank you so much.

Our first week of Open Beta