If you like ARPG games...

Don’t miss the open Beta of Path of Exile which starts in a few days

Trailer

I’ve been playing this for a long time through closed beta and it’s great, so much better and darker, than Diablo III and Torchlight.

Come and join :-TU

If you can’t wait seven days, I have one beta key left. I’ll give it to the first person to answer these three questions:

1. In the Man Who Sold The world by David Bowie, whose poem did he plagiarise for the lyrics
  2. Which British Female singer had a number 4 hit with the same song in 1974
  3. Which instrument did David Bowie play on her version.

Never played Diablo III, but a huge fan of Torchlight 1 and 2.

1. “Antigonish” by William Hughes

2. Lulu

3. Bowie played saxophone

I love this type of game. Registered for a beta account. Thanks for the heads up Radaghast! :slight_smile:

Time to create the Comodo clan LOL! :slight_smile:

Well done, I’ve sent you a PM with the key. have fun :slight_smile:

I hope you enjoy the game, I’ve found it to be the best of it’s kind (although I like Dark Souls too) and of course it’s free to play :-TU

Give me a shout if you need any help.

;D - If enough people are online at the same time, we could do some mult-player dungeons…

If enough people are online at the same time, we could do some mult-player dungeons...

Count me in. Going to install it on my desktop Tomorrow. ;D

Thanks for the beta key Radaghast. Looking forward to it.

Installing now…

Just a heads-up, the skill tree looks really scary in the beginning. Take some time to look ate the ‘Class’ part or the forum and take a look at other peoples builds. It really will help…

I did look at the skills tree and was a bit surprised at how extensive it is. Is there an option to “respec” your skills?

I have a bad habit in games like this to just bank my skill points because I usually just want to play and haven’t spent any time studying the skill tree, and I don’t want to put them somewhere that may hinder me down the road. It’s usually only when the difficulty really starts ramping up that I finally start looking into the skills… 88)

Did you by chance play the game Mythos? (That never made it out of beta) It was the same guys (Under the company name, Flagship Studios) who made Torchlight. I was a closed beta tester for that game and was really sad to see it go under, as it was very promising. It was also going to be a free to play game, financed by micro-transactions.

You will receive a small number of ‘respec’ points as you level and complete quests, you can also obtain ‘respec’ orbs from vendors. If you want a total ‘respec’ create a new character…

I have a bad habit in games like this to just bank my skill points because I usually just want to play and haven't spent any time studying the skill tree, and I don't want to put them somewhere that may hinder me down the road. It's usually only when the difficulty really starts ramping up that I finally start looking into the skills... 88)

The skill tree is defined as you level and complete quests, it’s not something you need to do all in one go. It’s also class dependant, that is each class starts in a different part of the tree. However, you’re not limited to just your part. If you wanted to create a marauder magic user, you can take skills from the marauder tree and the witch tree. it’s hugely flexible but need some thought.

Did you by chance play the game [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythos_(video_game)]Mythos[/url]? (That never made it out of beta) It was the same guys (Under the company name, Flagship Studios) who made Torchlight. I was a closed beta tester for that game and was really sad to see it go under, as it was very promising. It was also going to be a free to play game, financed by micro-transactions.

Unfortunately, I missed out on Mythos but I have played both Torchlight versions. PoE is also going to use micro-transactions but the devs have promised it will never become pay-to-win

Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

That is good to hear. I don’t think much of games that allow micro-transactions to ruin game balance. I can understand the developers wanting to create items to more or less guarantee some income, but I feel you should always be able to get the best items through playing, rather than paying. :wink:

All too often, games come up with a micro-transaction model that not only breaks game balance, but completely destroys the in-game economy. For example, games that allow you to buy game currency with real currency.

Here’s something yo may find interesting - overview video

That’s pretty impressive!

The gem mechanics in particular are very interesting to me, and I can see that they could completely change the way you choose play your character. In addition to the flexible passive skill tree, it looks like something I will enjoy.

I’m one of those guys that likes to do things like play the games “tank” character as a spell caster. I’ve found that you generally get a much more interesting gaming experience if you aren’t playing the stereotypical “power” builds.

What is the character level cap? I’m just wondering how viable it will really be to traverse the skill tree as they’ve shown. If you’re going to be basically wasting a bunch of skill points to get to a skill you’d like from another tree, that really only makes sense from a practical standpoint if you have a generous amount of skill points to spend.

At the moment the level cap is 100, we’ll have to see if that changes as new content is added. For now it’s worth posting from the FAQ:

A level cap of 100 is currently planned, but players will find that they level up more slowly as they gain experience. You'll need to be very high level and be very well-geared to contend with the end game content on the hardest difficulty level. These diminishing returns mean that the game doesn't suddenly end when the player hits some arbitrary point. If a player wanted, they could improve a single character for years on end.

As far as the skill tree is concerned, if I remember correctly, there are 115 point available for use as the game progresses, which should be enough for some quite exotic builds. However, the tree is really quite extensive. Take a look at a wonderful hi-res image for an idea - warning 25MB image! It’s also worth taking a look at some YT videos by Chris at GGG - Build of the Week there are about 15 of them and they include information about how people have used passive and active skills (gems and skill tree) to create their builds.

Thanks for the info, Radaghast! :slight_smile:

Can anyone recommend any free similar games to PoE

You do know PoE is free to play? Less than 24 hours to go now for the open beta… Other than that, the only others I’m aware of, which are quite old apart from Diablo III and Torchlight 2, are still pay to play.

Yeah I’ve been hanging on for open beta, the build of the week videos look pretty cool 8)

I will check the 2 you mentioned out today