ICS Config and other newbie questions

First, apologies for raking over what is probably extremely old ground for regular forum-goers in these parts. Nevertheless, I’m stuck and it’s driving slightly bonkers. I have read through a number of useful posts on the forum but being the sort of person who finds computer networking inevitably confusing, I’m afraid I still need help.

I’m trying to set up an ad-hoc wifi network between my desktop and laptop with aim of setting up ICS on the laptop (as well as the ability to swap files across the network) The desktop is based on the Asus P5K-E WIFI-AP motherboard, the laptop has an internal wifi modem and I’m using a USB DSL modem connected to the desktop to connect to the internet.

I’ve assigned a fixed IP to the laptop; 192.168.0.10 on subnet mask, 255.255.255.0. The desktop also uses a fixed IP: 192.168.0.5 on subnet mask 255.255.255.0.

I’ve created a ‘trusted zone’ within CF (installed on the desktop): range between 192.168.0.5 and 192.168.0.6 with the following rules:

Allow, IP, In, Source IP (my trusted zone), Destination IP (my trusted zone)
Allow, IP Out, Source IP (my trusted zone), Destination IP (my trusted zone)

When I try to activate the network my laptop connects briefly before becoming disconnected within seconds. It tries again, connects, and then disconnects again and so it goes on.

If I can get past this particular problem, I’d be interested to know how I can configure CF to allow the laptop to use an assigned IP which I believe may be necessary for ICS.

While I’m picking those excellent brains out there, I’d also like to discover if it’s common for CF to complain about svhost.exe – it seems to provoke an awful lot of pop-up requests from Comodo. CF suggests that this may be down to virus activity but I’ve scanned the machine inside out and besides. It mainly seems to happen when I open certain programs such as ACDSee.

I really don’t want to swap out Comodo for another firewall but I may have to unless I can at least sort out my wifi network.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

hi,

create on both a trusted zone ranking from …5 to …10, or you can use …0 to …255, or at least give the ip correpondendig machine. so pc have the …10 and lappy the …5.

use the wizard in Advanced and then edit it or not.

Mike

svhost.exe? And not %SYSTEMROOT%\svchost.exe ? (note: sv_c_host), On my machine this is c:\windows\system32\svchost.exe.

svhost.exe is a serious nasty, either W32.Mydoom.I@mm worm or Trojan/Backdoor Backdoor.Socksbot Socks8080.exe. according to a real quick google search.

That CFP is blocking it is a very good thing, very likely preventing even more serious problems from being downloaded into your machine.

Run a HiJackThis scan, get a logfile from that scan, and get your machine cleaned before doing anything else. There are various web forums that do HiJackThis analysis. Be advised they are all extremely busy, and it an take several days to more than a week to get help getting a machine cleaned.

Well, I feel rather foolish now I realise I didn’t even give out the right information. (I blame the fact I was swapping between the laptop and the PC firewalls while posting on the forum).

Let me straighten things up. The laptop is on …06 and the desktop on …05. In both firewalls the trusted zone includes only those two IP addresses. And yet, they will only connect momentarily before disconnecting. Repeat ad nauseam.

And grue, you’re right of course, it’s svchost.exe not svhost.

re,

first of all:

desktop: in the usb dslmodem tcp ip you enable ICS so the internal wifi adaptor gets a ip.

then you edit the wifi ip to 192.168.100.1

else you remove there any tcp and ICS.

laptop: in the wifi tcp you set 192.168.100.2 gateway and dns 192.168.100.1

else your remove all other tcp there and ICS.

if that works with all comodos set to ALLOW all (systray icon) report back.

Mike

Thanks, meier. I just tried your suggestions (before and after a reboot) and the result is the same – the desktop happily connects but the laptop goes through the same routine of connecting, disconnecting and so on.

re,

so if you deinstall comodo you have perm connection or have the wifi powersaving, so it only connects when traffic?

try a huge download?

you might enable in both comodos “allow aoutbound connections while boot”, but well they have connection, is your wifi parameters exact? might choose the setup- software even for garbeling, etc.

Mike

Forgive me, but I don’t really understand what you mean. The laptop does the same thing with Comodo set to Allow All (or not). It connects to the wifi network for barely two seconds before disconnecting. Are you suggesting I uninstall CF and try again? (I’ve no problem with doing that if it helps)

dear jazzer,

i think you have wifi new and not familiar with it. not that much a comodo poblem.

does the wifi itself only connects on transmission, so behave is normal.

did you set up both wifis same protocol garbeling etc?

did your wifi work ever without any comodo?

:slight_smile:

make this for be 100% sure, deinstall both comodos.

then go online with desktop, check www works, then use laptop and check if www works.

if this all works you got wifi setup right,

then post again about comodo

Mike

i m sure youre close to it

PS: do you have infradred wifi, or antenna wifi

I have to confess that I am something of a wifi and network neophyte. But I did have both computers connected before with the desktop configured as an access point. I was able to communicate between machines and swap files but not access the net from the laptop. I was advised that for that I would need to set up an ad-hoc network. And that’s where my problems with the repeated disconnections started. I thought perhaps it might be Comodo but as you say, it’s probably something else.

I still don’t understand, however, how to set my firewall should I want my laptop to aquire a host-assigned IP address – should I need to in order to ICS.

Good to hear that it is really svchost.exe, and not svhost.exe.

I got a chance to experiment a little bit with the systems here, and I think this sequence will work.

To confirm your hardware: desktop machine has a USB modem (DSL in this case, but still a modem), an Ethernet LAN port, and a builtin wifi port. This machine is intended to be your ICS host.

Laptop is running wifi, will connect to the desktop thru an ad-hoc network connection.

If this is right, so far, then the following:

On the desktop:

Go to the Network Connections display (Start → Control Panel → Network Connections). You will need to “bridge” your Ethernet LAN and your Wireless adapters. To do this, highlight both (leftclick one, then control-leftclick the other), right click, and “bridge connections”. You will then get a “bridge adapter” on the connections display.

On the USB modem connection, right click to Properties, Advanced Tab, and mark the checkbox to “share this connection”. This enables ICS, and you must have the bridge created before you do this.

ICS seems to have a priority list: bridge, then Ethernet, then wireless. It picks one, and only one, to use with the modem. That’s why the bridge must be defined before ICS is enabled.

ICS defines a LAN network for you of 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0. Your desktop, as ICS host, will be predefined as 192.168.0.1, overriding any previous IP address settings. Any connecting device, like your laptop, cannot have a static address. ICS works like a router, and will assign addresses as things come in. If you define your laptop with an address, and ICS assigned a different address, it won’t match.

Your laptop will try to connect via wireless, and will get an address. Probably 192.168.0.2. If you can ping 192.168.0.1, the desktop at the ICS host address, then you are connected, and should be able to get out to the Internet thru the modem.

Now for the firewall bit, which is what this forum is about. The trusted zone that everybody is referring to, is that address block of 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0. That will allow the laptop to talk to the desktop. It could be the ICS assignment will increase 2, 3, 4, up to 254, then back to 2 (ICS host is always 1). You’ll have to try it and find out.

I would suggest using the Windows Firewall while getting all the ICS working. After that, then switch over to Comodo Firewall. The fewer things thrown into the mix, the less confusion.

And as an officemate of mine oft-times said: there, that should run…

Note that I skipped the part about defining the ad-hoc network. To get it to work, try it with WEP turned off. Keep things simple to start. If you connect, then kick in the WEP-128, as that is the best an ad-hoc connection can do in terms of security. Be aware though, that WEP-128 can be cracked in under 5 minutes. It’s better than nothing, but not by much.

dear jazzer,

dont give up, as i assumed, you dont get a wifi connection without any firewalls even to www.

post us your manual links of mobo and of laptop concern wifi,

because if wifi dont work so, it not work with comodo neither :slight_smile:

Mike

PS: best offer we can do,

Wow, thanks for taking the time for such a full response. I was full of optimism until I got to the bit about WEP being about as much use as a cardboard overcoat in a thunderstorm! Is ad-hoc the only protocol with which I can use ICS? (Sorry to keep shifting the goal posts here but I’m becoming a little worn out by my lack of progress and am quite prepared to shamelessly pounce on any help offered! :SMLR ) Bear in mind I soon might be adding another ‘client’ machine to the wifi network. I need to be able to secure the network if for no other reason than peace of mind.

And yes, your assessment of my set-up is spot on. The host machine is based on the ASUS P5K-E Wifi AP (Access Point) motherboard with a DSL USB modem providing net access.

ICS seems to come from a time well before wi-fi, and doesn’t seem to understand it at all. That’s why the bridging setup between the wi-fi adapter and the classic wired Ethernet adapter that ICS does understand.

Using your desktop as an access point should work. The distinction between ad-hoc and access point methods is simply different ways for radios (which is what wi-fi is, very souped up walkie-talkies) to talk to each other. What goes over the radios is Internet Protocol traffic, rather than voice or Morse Code.

The one thing that may come up, is if the desktop wi-fi drivers or support software provides some kind of DHCP function. When a client wi-fi connects, it gets an IP address. The desktop drivers most likely presume that there is already a DHCP server, and pass the request and answer back and forth. But, there could be an option for the desktop driver to provide its own DHCP service. I don’t have experience with your hardware, and haven’t had the chance to eyeball any web-available manuals.

The hard and fast rule is only one DHCP server on a LAN. ICS provides its own DHCP, and to my knowledge, can’t be turned off. That means the ICS DHCP is the one that runs.

So, in short, setting up an access point should work. The top of the line security setting is WPA2-AES/TKIP for a home environment. Pick really really long passwords.