IceDragon Load Up

Comodo Load up time has increased from 18 to 30 seconds – Is this related to malware or due to me having added more programs since installing IceDragon last Monday?

Eighteen seconds seems quite slow, let alone thirty. How many extensions/plug-ins do you have installed and what kind of system are you running on? For me, ICD opens in around 2 seconds but that’s without any extensions. My main browser, firefox 21, has 34 extensions and that loads in around 4 seconds.

Edit: I was incorrect when I said around 2 seconds, in fact it’s less than a second:

******\icedragon.exe - 10 executions

One of my family now has IceDragon installed and her computer took 4 seconds to load the browser. Mine has gone up from 18 to 30 seconds (but 20 seconds, if I’ve browsed at least once earlier but not for a while) or about 4 seconds if I have one tab open. I think the speed of my access to load IceDragon is dependent on the number of programs I have installed in Extensions, if I’ve used the browser for the first time in the day or returned to it and how many tabs I have open.

I currently use Windows Vista using Service Pack 2 on a 32 bit 2.40 GHz computer with 645 MB of free memory.

I have 5 Extensions, one of them disabled (No Script, as it’s useful but delays my access to every site I visit), and 14 Plug-Ins.

The plug-ins were installed installed automatically. Six of them are Real Player plug-ins, of which one is “RealNetworks™ RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension”. I don’t use Google Chrome, unless it means Chrome coloured. Either way, it was last updated on 29 November 2012. Real Player causes clicking on Youtube links to take two clicks to pause a video file, whereas without Real, just one. I prefer VLC, but only the Real Player works for files from this site: BBC - Top of the Pops - Videoclips which plays all files via any browser, but I have to right click, if I use IceDragon.

When I clicked on one file, Windows Firewall popped up saying it had blocked the file, which subsequently loaded anyway and then “The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic”.

Upon clicking another file, the Firewall didn’t pop up and the colour scheme wasn’t affected.

As you use a lot more extensions than me, I can’t work out why my computer’s speed to open up my browser is slow, while much faster than Firefox.

I don’t know which extensions to remove, but here is what I currently have:

QuickTime Plug-in
RealDownloader Plugin
RealNetworks ™ RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
RealNetworks ™ RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
RealNetworks ™ RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
RealPlayer Download Plugin
RealNetworks ™ G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
Shockwave Flash
VLC Web Plugin
Windows Presentation Foundation – http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/17/microsoft-silently-installing-windows-presentation-foundation-plugin-for-firefox/ - Upon reading this, I have disabled it as it has a security vulnerability and it was last updated 30 July 2008

Checking to see if my Plug-ins are up-to-date, the list overlaps, as there are some on the Mozilla page that aren’t in my Plug-Ins list for some reason. Five of them (on the Mozilla page) are updated, one of which not in my list – Java Deployment Toolkit, the others have “Research?” next to them and at the top of the Mozilla page it states “For your safety, Firefox has disabled your outdated version of Java. Please upgrade to the latest version.”

I tend not to use Java, so I don’t know why it’s not on my Plugins list within the browser but is on the Mozilla page. I’ve not upgraded.

I’m surprised you see any delay when using NoScript, I’ve been using it for years and it has no negative impact on browser performance.

The plug-ins were installed installed automatically. Six of them are Real Player plug-ins, of which one is "RealNetworks(tm) RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension". I don't use Google Chrome, unless it means Chrome coloured. Either way, it was last updated on 29 November 2012. Real Player causes clicking on Youtube links to take two clicks to pause a video file, whereas without Real, just one. I prefer VLC, but only the Real Player works for files from this site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/totp2/videoclips/date/1964/index.shtml which plays all files via any browser, but I have to right click, if I use IceDragon.

Mozilla based browsers like IcaDragon read the registry for list of plug-ins to load, so if you had Real Player/Real Downloader installed, it would find those and add them, same for any others.

It is possible to watch Real Media without installing the full blown player, you can use Real Alternative it’s much lighter, there’s also QuickTime Lite if you need access to that kins of media.

When I clicked on one file, Windows Firewall popped up saying it had blocked the file, which subsequently loaded anyway and then "The color scheme has been changed to Windows Vista Basic".

Upon clicking another file, the Firewall didn’t pop up and the colour scheme wasn’t affected.

As you use a lot more extensions than me, I can’t work out why my computer’s speed to open up my browser is slow, while much faster than Firefox.

There are many reasons why browser can be slow to load, the number and type of extensions/plug-ins are just one factor, albeit a major one.

I don’t know which extensions to remove, but here is what I currently have:

QuickTime Plug-in
RealDownloader Plugin
RealNetworks ™ RealDownloader Chrome Background Extension Plug-In
RealNetworks ™ RealDownloader HTML5VideoShim Plug-In
RealNetworks ™ RealDownloader PepperFlashVideoShim Plug-In
RealPlayer Download Plugin
RealNetworks ™ G2 LiveConnect-Enabled Plug-In
Shockwave Flash
VLC Web Plugin
Windows Presentation Foundation – http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/17/microsoft-silently-installing-windows-presentation-foundation-plugin-for-firefox/ - Upon reading this, I have disabled it as it has a security vulnerability and it was last updated 30 July 2008

Start by disabling them all, same for extensions and see what happens. You can also stop the plug-in from being loaded by renaming the dll associated with it. To do that, in the address bar in ICD, type:

about:config

In the Search bar type:

plugin.expose_full_path

When found, double-click the name and set the state to true.

Now, in the address bar type:

about:plugins

This will show the path to each dll. Find the file, make a back-up if you want, and rename it. restart ICD.

Checking to see if my Plug-ins are up-to-date, the list overlaps, as there are some on the Mozilla page that aren’t in my Plug-Ins list for some reason. Five of them (on the Mozilla page) are updated, one of which not in my list – Java Deployment Toolkit, the others have “Research?” next to them and at the top of the Mozilla page it states “For your safety, Firefox has disabled your outdated version of Java. Please upgrade to the latest version.”

I tend not to use Java, so I don’t know why it’s not on my Plugins list within the browser but is on the Mozilla page. I’ve not upgraded.

I’m not sure what you mean by “overlaps” you should only see plug-ins you have loaded and enabled. As far as Java is concerned, even the most recent update Java 7 update 11 has problems, so Mozilla have automatically disabled it. If you don’t use Java uninstall it.

NoScript is invaluable and I agree it has no negative impact on browser performance, but every time I visit a web site, I have to click a button or window to be able to proceed to visit the site. One prime example is Youtube. I have to click in the middle of the window to play a file.

I’m used to instantly accessing sites, as it’s much faster, while wanting to keep my computer in check.

The old version of Zone Alarm was the worst. It constantly asked me if I’d like to Allow or Block every single web site I visited. As the amount of Zone Alarm information relating to each site was minimal and cryptic, it didn’t state which site was requesting access or if it was safe or dangerous, so it was pure luck I didn’t allow anything dangerous during those prompts. The worst that happened was that I occasionally refused safe programs, which wouldn’t work unless allowed.

I believe that Zone Alarm and other companies who made software of a similar style have considerably improved since then, but for novices, such programs are a nightmare to use.

Ah, now I see why my plug-ins appeared. Real Player must be a large program, due to how many extensions it’s installed.

I’ll keep a note of your suggestions and try them out.

Several programs overlap in that they’re on the IceDragon Plugins list and on the Mozilla page where it advises which ones need to be updated, but a small number are only on the latter.

I uninstalled Java a year or two ago, so I don’t know why there’s a message on Mozilla saying that it’s disabled the old version of Java and asking me to install the new one. I’ve just ignored this request.

Why don’t you simply white list the sites you trust and visit most often?

Snip... Several programs overlap in that they're on the IceDragon Plugins list and on the Mozilla page where it advises which ones need to be updated, but a small number are only on the latter.

I uninstalled Java a year or two ago, so I don’t know why there’s a message on Mozilla saying that it’s disabled the old version of Java and asking me to install the new one. I’ve just ignored this request.

If it’s still detecting Java, it may well be that you still have remnants of the installation.

I’ve re-enabled NoScript. It’s less intrusive than I first thought. Several sites automatically run while others can be put on a Whitelist for permanent instant access or temporarily allowed for a session. I’ve added a small number of sites to the Whitelist and updated my Adobe, as Youtube’s HTML 5 links weren’t working.

I’m not sure why I would still have remnants of the Java installation, but I’ve disabled this plug-in so this should resolve the problem.

IceDragon is now loading up in 12 seconds, which is probably due to disabling most plug-ins, which is a start, but hopefully I’ll get down to the fastest, optimum load time speed in due course.

How much RAM is physically in your computer? Look under Control Panel → System and see what it says for Installer memory (RAM)?

Just had chance to reply. Sorry for the delay.

I have 2.00 GB of RAM.

To get rid off Java remnants try JavaRa.

Thanks for your recommendation.

I’ll do this over the weekend, but meanwhile, I’ve recently come across information that some Games require Java.

By removing Java, would I still be able to play the games or would I have to reinstall Java?

I’m cautious about Java, as, although Java itself is said to not be full of viruses, it is prone to misuse from virus makers.

I don’t know if Monopoly, Pinball and other games use or would be affected by Java (those work upon inserting the disk per game into my DVD drive) if it’s uninstalled, but I’ll check this with you first, to play safe.

Malware may try to use security holes in Java to get on your system.

I recently advised the following when visiting a site using Java:

• Disable Java in web browsers in Java Control Panel
  • When visiting the site close the browser
  • Enable Java in web browsers in Java Control Panel
  • Start browser and go to the desired site
  • After leaving the site close browser and disable Java in Java Control Panel
  • Start your browser and continue surfing

This way you will limit the exposure to a bare minimum.

Whereabouts is the Java Control Panel?

I’ve checked Control Panel and Sun’s Java is no longer in the installed programs section.

The Java Control Panel should be listed in the Windows Control Panel. However with one of the previous releases of Java the Java Control Panel did not show up in Windows Control Panel.

But with Java not listed in the list of installed programs it apparently is no longer around it is either not or not properly installed. Try starting the uninstaller of Java from JavaRa and after that let JavaRa remove all traces of Java to make a clean start.

I’m not sure which version I had of Java, but some time ago there was a Java file in the Control Panel. It looks like a fault must have left it omitted in the version you describe.

Which is the official JavaRa site? - There are links to different ones

Is it this one?: http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/
( from http://raproducts.org/wordpress/ )

I prefer to download software directly from the sites of the software, rather than third party sites, as while not all third party sites are corrupt by any means, it’s often reported that at least some put bogus software in their downloads which contain hidden malware or trojan horses (bogus WinRar sites are a prime example, whereas the official WinRar site has the genuine, safe program).

A different site from the above two lists JaRa, but has the word “Latest” added to the download file, which I hovered over without downloading.

Other than ensuring I have the official site of JaRa, I also came across this, which concerns me as it could affect the settings of my registry. I gather it’s not safe to move system files, generally speaking, so the following file would have to remain in the registry or be in the Recycle Bin to then restore this way or through a previous System Restore Point:

(JavaRa) “Breaks Internet Explorer Proxy AutoConfig Capability. After running JavaRa, jscript.dll is not registered any more!”

My tracks eraser occasionally deletes safe waste automatically, including the Recycle Bin contents, so if this DLL file was to be removed by JavaRa, it would be time consuming to ensure I obtain a replacement from a third party.

The JavaRa website is the best option as it provides the latest version; v2. Sourceforge, which is a trustworthy site, serves the older v1.6.

Re-checking the web site where a user said JavaRa “breaks Internet Explorer Proxy AutoConfig Capability. After running JavaRa, jscript.dll is not registered any more! You have to re-register it. Took me hours to find out!”, it’s dated 28-06-12, but intriguingly the program was last updated on 14-10-10. Assuming the version available last June is a previous one, this bug is presumably now fixed.

I’m virtually sure that CCleaner listed a reference to a no longer existent Jscript.dll file in its Registry clean earlier, yet, if it did, I’ve not seen any pop-ups prior to this saying it’s missing.

However, as it’s believed to be an important file, where can I find out if Jscript.dll is missing?

Upon visiting the official JavaRa site, Raproducts.org, Paul McLain is now no longer maintaining JavaRa, but the good news is that version 2 can be downloaded from its redirected site Singular Labs:

I think Sourceforge is a widely used site, as I’m sure I’ve seen this a few times before. It’s good to know it’s trustworthy. :slight_smile:

As the bug, as reported in a 2012 review, will be to presumably version 1.6, I now feel 99% sure that the new version 2 will not delete Jscript.dll, although I’m unsure how to tell if Jscript.dll is in my computer.

Update: I have now downloaded JavaRa, which is now officially available for download via Singular Labs:

http://singularlabs.com/software/javara/javara-download/

Administration entry is required, which is not given, and the information is a bit ambiguous, but I figured a way around it.

There are two options. I opted for the “Stable” version (the other must be Beta), found I needed to extract the file, which has extracted successfully, and the JavaRa window popped up.

It recommended me to update the definitions first, found there weren’t any, then I uninstalled it and there were no traces of Java left.

Is it recommended to retain JavaRa, now that it’s confirmed there are no traces of Java? and

Which programs require Java?

As far as I know, it’s just some Games programs online.

Now JavaRa has removed all traces of Java you can now install Java again.

Just to clarify, is JavaRa used mainly to uninstall old versions of Java then install the new Java?

If it is, the new version of Java must be safe to use. I believe some Games web sites require it, but that it’s generally not used much nowadays, but useful for where it’s required.