IceDragon and Keepass Startup Help

I have just downloaded KeePass 2.25 and I’m having difficulty importing IceDragons passwords into the database that I have setup in KeePass. Is it possible to import IceDragon’s Passwords or they locked up tight? KeePass seems to capture new login and password information and place it into the correct database. I just can’t seem to import the existing passwords from IceDragon into the KeePass database. Am I missing something?

It always sunny in Beaufort!
John B.

Hello taichibabbo,

Sorry it has taken so long for anyone to answer.

You can look at the following three options below and try whichever you feel most comfortable with.

Use the extension Password Exporter to save your passwords to an XML file. Get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/password-exporter/
You can also go here and read the FAQ and view the tutorial: Pages · fligtar/password-exporter Wiki · GitHub
Once you have exported your passwords to an XML file, you can use KeePass 2.0 and above and use its built in import option called “Password Exporter” to import this XML file. After using this your passwords should show up in Keepass. Once your passwords have been successfully imported, make sure you permanetly and securely delete this XML file as the information in it is not secure like it is in Keepass.

Another option is to use NirSoft WebBrowserPassView. This software will also retrieve passwords from IE, Chrome and Opera. You can view a step-by-step tutorial on how to use this at http://www.howtogeek.com/70801/how-to-import-your-saved-browser-passwords-into-keepass/
Edit: I have not verified that NirSoft WebBrowserPassView works with IceDragon or the third option below.

A third option is to use Firefox to Keepass Password Importer/Exporter. Get it here: http://seo-website-designer.com/Firefox-KeePass-Password-Import#heading-alternate
This program also requires .Net 4.0 Framework to be installed on your computer. You already have it if you have Windows 7.
There is also a pretty good user discussion at the bottom of the ‘Firefox to KeePass Password Importer’ webpage.

If the options above do not work, you should also post your question on the Keepass forum at: KeePass / Discussion / Search

Hoping one of these options will be of some help.

gs22

Newbee,

Thank you for the rapid reply. Not disappointed at the turn around tome at all. I will try your suggestions in order and let you and the forum how things go. If successful then maybe your advice could be made into a short How-To.

Again, thanks will give it try tonight and report back.

John B. a.k.a. TaiChiBabbo

I have now verified that NirSoft WebBrowserPassView works with Comodo IceDragon but you have to make a couple changes to the default in order to get it to work. Go into Options/Advanced Options and check the boxes for Firefox Profile and Firefox Installation. Use the browse button to the right of each of those boxes to enter the location of your IceDragon profile folder and the IceDragon installation folder. Refer to the image below for what I did to get it to work.

You may have more than one profile, so you can export the passwords for each profile if needed. If you use a master password to access your passwords in IceDragon, you will need to enter that into the Master Password box in the Advanced Options screen in order to get your password info to display. Once you get your passwords to display, save them as a ‘comma delimited text file (*.csv)’. Then follow the remaining steps on the webpage at: http://www.howtogeek.com/70801/how-to-import-your-saved-browser-passwords-into-keepass/

Remember these files containing your passwords you created from NirSoft WebBrowserPassView are not secure so you need to permanently delete them and not just delete them to the recyle bin after you are done with them.

Edit: Just for future reference relating to file versions, NirSoft WebBrowserPassView v1.45 works with Comodo IceDragon v26.0.0.2 if changes to the Advanced Options screen as noted above are made.

gs22

[attachment deleted by admin]

Newbie,

Sorry for the delay in posting my results. Your first set of instructions:

“You can also go here and read the FAQ and view the tutorial: Pages · fligtar/password-exporter Wiki · GitHub
Once you have exported your passwords to an XML file, you can use KeePass 2.0 and above and use its built in import option called “Password Exporter” to import this XML file. After using this your passwords should show up in Keepass. Once your passwords have been successfully imported, make sure you permanetly and securely delete this XML file as the information in it is not secure like it is in Keepass.”

Worked straight away and moved all of my passwords into KeePass.

Thanks Again, From one newbie to another

I think my issue has been resolved so I would like to close this post as solved.

John B.

You’re welcome John B.
Thanks for posting what worked for you.

gs22