I used to LOVE this firewall, starting to hate it.

First bit torrent wouldnt work. finally got that fixed. then, AOL Instant meesenger wouldnt connect cause the firewall was blocking it. Got that to finally work, and NOW, i cant ever surf the net, cause it BLOCKS both browsers, and NOTHING regarding the browsers has changed! WTF! This firewall is REALLY starting to ■■■■ me off with all the stupid ■■■■■■■■.

id like to try something, id like to back up the settings of the fiurewall, and uninstall and reinstall it, and see if that works, cause right now, only way i can surf the net now is if i turn it off. I tried making a custom rule in network settings, still ndoesnt work, i tried adding it to allow ALL communications with the exe’s for the firewalls, nope, not a chance, yet i turn it off and everything works fine. this is actually getting rediculous, because this thing seems like its making up its own rules as to what to allow on its own,. I mean this thing is pretty much uselss if it refuses to work properly. im actually starting to get fed up with it cause every day its some new shit, where it wont let some app that i use daily connect to the net… this is ■■■■■■■■!

No one forces you to use it and you didn’t pay a penny for it - keep that in mind.

Obviously you only want to rant and no solution for your problems. So nobody will be able to help you.

FMD,

I’m sorry you’re having the problems you’re having. I understand that creating application and network rules “by hand” can be tedious and at times mind-numbing. CPF is obviously not an automated firewall the way some others are; that would appear (at this point, anyway) to be the price of what is currently the best firewall in existence - some mental trials and computer elbow grease, to configure it properly. There is definitely work to be done to make it more user-friendly for the “average” user that doesn’t want to “tinker” with the firewall.

For your current problems, it sounds like you have inadvertently blocked svchost.exe. This is a system file without which, nothing can connect to the internet. If you look in CPF’s Activity Logs, I am pretty confident that you will see a block in there for svchost.exe, probably with a Parent of explorer.exe or services.exe.

Check it out and post back. If you want, you can export the Log to an HTML file, and post that here (by way of a web-hosting site, such as Photobucket), or open & resave as a TXT file, then attach that under the “Additional Options” below the post’s text-box. Then we can take a look and see exactly what’s happening.

LM

Here is a script to backup your settings:

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2366.0.html

Only problem at this point with backing up your settings, and reinstalling the FW, is that whatever block is in place to stop you from accessing the internet, will be imported into the new installation by the backup script.

If indeed it is a block on svchost.exe, you’ll be stuck just where you are now, and even more frustrated.

I recommend to check the logs for a block, first.

LM

For your current problems, it sounds like you have inadvertently blocked svchost.exe. This is a system file without which, nothing can connect to the internet. If you look in CPF's Activity Logs, I am pretty confident that you will see a block in there for svchost.exe, probably with a Parent of explorer.exe or services.exe.

Little Mac,

Just looked at my Apps and svchost.exe (and system) are blocked for all entries and [obviously] I can connect!
Don’t know if this is relevant :-\

Peter

Very interesting, Peter; that would have to be the first time I’ve seen that happen…

A few questions…

What version of the firewall are you running (I think I remember you running one the current Betas…)?

Will you post a screenshot of your Application Monitor (full-screen); try to highlight one of these svchost rules, so that the details are showing at the bottom of the window.

Per my instructions above, will you post your Activity Logs as well?

Also, post a screenshot of the window showing the configuration of the following: Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous.

That will help me see what’s going on exactly; there may be some details there that will shed some light on that.

Thanks,

LM