I guess its time to try comodo

Like many who have any exposure to computer security, its hard not to hear some rave reviews regarding comodo—and also some negative comments about comodo being hard to configure and
unable to hold onto its settings.

For quite a few years, I have been using the old sygate firewall–5.5 build 2710 for the sole reason that its very network friendly and easy to configure. But Sygate crashed on me for about the fifth time last night. So I somewhat reluctantly conclude its time to bite the bullet and endure the PAIN of learning a new firewall. My network setup is extremely primitive—two xp computers, each with a network interface card connected by a crossover cable—connection method is microsoft ICS with one computer the host and the other the client.—sadly I am still on dial up—no affordable broadband options exist in my rural area.

So my first question regards downloads—I will need two copies–one for each computer—plus two free licenses.—do I then need to download the whole thing twice?

I was at this forum some month or so ago and found something about setting up rules for networking—but can’t find it now----but I will need those almost immediately.

But for now—time to start the download.–I see there is a new version out in the last few days.

Time to start downloading copy one.

I will probably need some help. But I guess I will find out if I can use this firewall or not?

I hope its as super as billed after I get over the learning curve.

G’day and welcome to the forums.

You will only need to download the setup once. There’s a great start for dial up users. :wink:

Before running the setup, copy the downloaded file to your second PC. Run the setup on your internet connected PC first. During the installation, select “Automatic” rather than “Advanced”. This will create a set of default rules that provide excellent connectivity while still being very secure (and stealthed).

When completed, and you’ve rebooted, click on the SECURITY button and then click TASKS. Click on DEFINE A NEW TRUSTED NETWORK. This will add the rules required for ICS.

Repeat these steps on the other PC and you’re done.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Dear panic,

Thanks for the advice—evidently the new version clears up much of the install hassle. Because I am up
and running really fast in learn mode. With my network fully enabled.

And I know I should really be reading the help files more but an initial scan seems to fails to address two problems I kind of need immediate help on.

1. I get learning mode comodo pop ups asking if I want to enable or allow a given service—and its given as 1 in some number X. But as soon as enable the first 1 and in some cases 2’nd where one or 2 is smaller than X—the pop up goes away and its unclear what I allowed—but those I allowed are clearly familiar services I should allow.

2. Sometimes I am asked if I wish to allow a given program to act as a server—with my old sygate program, the universal answer was always no except in the case of my internet answering machine.
    So for now I am saying yes without checking remember this answer. And then there is a separate question about allowing the application to access the internet I know I should answer in the affirmative—and check remember. But just browsing around the firewall shows no setting for altering act as a server that I have found YET.

But right now I done did it on my wife’s computer—and by the time she gets back from work I have to have it up and working—so its back to work and thanks–comodo is very easy to install.

The ‘acting as a server’ is probably due to the TCP loopback connection. By default, CFP checks for these - if you don’t run a proxy server then you can disable such checks by:
enabling (checkmark) the Skip loopback (127.x.x.x) TCP connections under Security > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Configure. See if the alert still appears when you start the program in question.

:thanks soyabeaner,

Have done the check block tcp loopback—hopefully it won’t block my internet answering machine. But I had already checked allow to act as a server for that. Things are going far easier than I thought with this new version.

Its easy—almost too easy.

G’day,

Glad to hear it going smoothly for you.

Small point about servers - quite a few program make use of the local loopback interface, acting as a sort on internal server for itself. The Thunderbird email app is an example of this, as is F5 Networks “App Tunnel VPN Connection”.

You may need to do a little bit of research on these when they pop up.

Hope this helps,
Ewen :slight_smile:

To panic,

I guess its not going as smoothly as planned—and you may be right about the checking the loop back thing. Bottom line, I am having a heck of a time setting up email for a new Isp—with a number of real complications. Not only am I changing firewalls, I am also transitioning to a new dial up isp.
With both dial up accounts currently good but ICS is now set up using the new isp.

For a quick review—we are talking an ICS network with two XP computers connected by a crossover cable to NIC’s on each computer. The host computer runs XP home and the client computer runs XP Pro.–The host computer had the old isp e-mail enabled on seamonkey—and the new isp email enabled on firefox prior to comodo install. With the XP pro computer having five different accounts—any of which can be easily modified.—but all have both seamonkey and the firefox and thunderbird duo installed. Two of them are limited or guest accounts with a software restriction policy in place–and the other three are administrative accounts—and only one administrative account had email set up with the old ISP on both T-bird and seamonkey.

So job one was trying to set up the new isp email post comodo install on any of four users accounts
for the XP pro computer. After setting up a totally virgin email account on seamonkey using a new administrative account—I am able to receive email from the new isp with no problem—ditto with thunderbird—but I am absolutely unable to send out email smtp from the client computer. Even if I shut down the comodo firewall on the client computer.

Yet the all new and old emails accounts that were preinstalled before comodo was installed in both computers work perfectly on both the client and host computers.—regardless of how the misc enable or disable loop back is set on either computer.

Does this now imply I should uninstall and then reinstall comodo on both computers so I can get the new isp outgoing email to work? Or is there something else I should do?

To panic,

By trial and error–mostly error—I did get smtp e-mail working—I was using a wrong setting so it was my fault.

But I am back to checking the loopback on both computers for what I maybe just assume is better security.

But if possible, could you expand on what the loses me?—so far I seem to be able to do all I need on the internet with no known problems yet.