I can't re-install!

I’ve used the free Comodo firewall Pro for some time, but have a question. I have recently reformatted my hard drive. I downloaded it again. When I went to reinstall it (clicking on setup), it says it is already installed. It is not in My Programs. It is not in
Add/Remove Programs. I do not have an icon. Where is it located so I can uninstall what is there and install it fresh?
Thanks, Alan

http://papercuthell.free.fr/Pieteke/ComodoCleaner.zip
run this

I extracted the file, but now what?
thanks

That batch file is only for CFP v3 Alpha; if you’re using CFP v2.4, it won’t help.

My first suggestion is to run a registry cleaner such as ccleaner or RegSeeker (both free). There are options in both to create a backup of the registry before removing any entries; be sure to do so. Afterwards reboot, turn off any active security software - antivirus, antispyware, etc - and reinstall the FW.

I have a question for you, ALANT, and it’s not meant in a negative fashion. Did you completely reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch, or did you just reinstall Windows over the existing install? The reason I ask is that if you reformatted the HD and reinstalled the OS, there will be no residue from CFP for it to say it’s already installed. Unless since the reformat you installed and then uninstalled CFP for some reason; then there might be. Does this make sense?

Whatever you need, just ask ~ we’re here to help.

LM

I ran the batch file and it said it removed the Comodo pieces. I ran the Tweaknow registry cleaner and removed what it said was safe. I re-booted. I turned off my virus detector and tried to reinstall CFP. It still says it is already installed and asks me if I want to uninstall it. When I say yes, still nothing happens. Yes, I did completely reformat my hard drive and reinstalled Windows from scratch. Before I did it, I copied some files & folders (from OWNER) to my D drive (Desktop, Favorites, My Documents, Programs, program files, start menu) and moved some back. Unfortunately, I can’t remember what I moved back . What pieces could I manually look for to see what’s still there? Also, What directories would any CFP elements be in? Would it matter if those folders were on my D drive? My intent was to remove the files from the D drive once I had everything working again. Might the problem be that the files may exist on my D drive?
Thanks, Alan

If you saved some stuff from Program Files, you might look for what would have been c:\program files\comodo\firewall (I’d look for this on both drives). If you find any, delete… You may have gotten the license file as well, but that shouldn’t impact anything in this scenario; if need be we can look that up too, though.

LM

I just performed the following steps:
-removed everything from both drives that had ‘Comodo’ in file name.
-rebooted
-Tweaknow Regcleaner (found 0 problems)
-tried re-installing (had same problem)
-removed everything with ‘CFP’ in filename on both drives
-tried re-installing (had same problem)
-rebooted (same problem)

at a loss…thanks

Okay, don’t bruise your head banging it on the floor. :wink:

Check the registry (manually, using regedit) for the following keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\COMODO Firewall Pro

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg\Comodo Personal Firewall

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\Services\CmdAgent

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\Services\CmdMon

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\Services\Inspect

Note: you may see several derivations of the HKLM\System\ControlSet… ControlSet, ControlSet002, etc.

and also these legacy keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDAGENT\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CMDMON\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSetxxx\Enum\Root\LEGACY_INSPECT\0000

Same “Note” from above applies to the Legacy keys.

Additional Note: To delete Legacy keys, you will need to right-click the entry, select “Permissions” and grant your user profile full control.

Also search files & registry for “CPF” entries; a lot of references will still retain the older nomenclature, from when it was still “Comodo Personal Firewall” rather than Comodo Firewall Pro. That may get you some different results from “CFP.”

Also, check these out. You shouldn’t have any, but just in case we want to cover all bases…

Go to Start/Run and type “services.msc” (no quotes).

Look for Comodo Application Agent. If present, change startup type to Disabled.

Go to Start/Run and type “devmgmt.msc” (no quotes).

Then go to View/Show Hidden Devices/NonPlugNPlay Drivers.

Look for Comodo Application Engine and Comodo Network Engine. If present, right-click and Disable.

Reboot.

Go back to the device manager and Uninstall those two Engines.

Reboot.

You may not find any of the things I’ve shown in the previous two posts.

However, we want to make sure we cover all bases. This is certainly an odd one.

LM

PS: You may find it helpful, when searching for files & folders, to use an application like Agent Ransack, over Windows Explorer. It’s faster and more thorough; in my experience it gives far better search results (things that Windows can’t seem to find). And it’s free…

Let me join the fun:
For versions < 3.x:
** FAQs/Threads - Read Me First **:

Install & Uninstall - Issues & Resolutions
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,302.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,1184.0.html
https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,5326.0.html