Humans Are Slowly but Surely Losing Intellectual and Emotional Abilities

“I would wager that if an average citizen from Athens of 1000BC were to appear suddenly among us, he or she would be among the brightest and most intellectually alive of our colleagues and companions, with a good memory, a broad range of ideas and a clear-sighted view of important issues,”

Well this theory explains a lot :slight_smile:

If this had been posted on Facebook, I would have so like, liked it. ;D

I have a feeling it would have be lost on the majority of fb users - too much reading :o :smiley:

My comment “Well this theory explains a lot” was in no way aimed at the forum lol but at people in general, you only need turn on the news (or TV) to see this theory in action ??? all the madness - is the reason ? :slight_smile:

That’s why nothing is foolproof - the fools keep getting more inventive. :smiley:

would this mean our race would be the turkey of the future kind of like how T rex becomes the turkey or chickens

what does emotional abilities anyways

and would you say the one at the end of the article about depression is true maybe i shouldnt have asked that question >:-D

There has been a massive downslide since the 60’s. Mostly due to increased drug usage among the masses. This includes marijuana as probably the biggest contributor.

This paper does not reference drugs. It’s just a question of an increase in genetic mutations due to our exclusion from the common course of natural selection.

And milk… since the cooling works better after the 60s! :smiley:
And ■■■■■■■■■■■■… And free love…

On a more serious note, when you speak about effects of the “60s” on the brain,
try to find correlations between lead in fuel and criminal behaviour increase.
Or you can look in the 90s, when they removed the lead from the fuel.
Thats interesting.
Everyone breathes.

You are easy at hand with saying general things.
“Has been downslide!”
“Mostly due!”
“Includes probably at most”.

The average person does not take drugs.
They breath.
Humans put lead into the air…
that IS stupid
and
that MAKES stupid!

Good one! Our environment has changed, diet, exercise and the way we see life that’s why… Technology and medicine can be blamed here as well. Our brains get constantly bombarded with the massive information which we don’t need and now just type in Google to find answers. As for medicine it can have a negative impact overall on our brain for generations to come we still don’t know.

Also what about few ppl who still don’t live the way we do now? See how they compared to us…

About natural selection… We still wired in our brains from the hunter-gatherer man times. As for the genetical mutation I say prove it with the solid scientific facts and not theory. But once again it’s all a theory… I leave it at that…

Smart is who knows where to find the answers! And who does own thoughts about these answers.

Dumb is who does not want to learn, or who liberately stoped it.

If the whole world had allways been userfriendly allroundsupported,
we would be stupid like bread.

Yes, and I agree with it completely. We have completely negated the process of natural selection which allows those most suited to a changing environment to pass on their genes. We allow everyone to reproduce regardless of any defects that may exist. I’m not saying that’s bad but it totally negates positive evolution.
My reference to increased drug use was just pointing out that the process has been even more accelerated in the last 50 or so years than ever before. As for the other thinly disguised attacks, I’m also speaking as someone who’s IQ has never been measured lower than 153.

Sounds like some nonsense the Church of Reality would spout! You really should read a little about genetic drift and neutral selection!

My reference to increased drug use was just pointing out that the process has been even more accelerated in the last 50 or so years than ever before. As for the other thinly disguised attacks, I'm also speaking as someone who's IQ has never been measured lower than 153.

Should we be impressed now?

Smart is the one who goes out and figure out things for himself. You can’t stop learning… You do it all your life… Maybe not in the academic sense but still…

On your last point… Maybe we are… Look at our society today… Plus what is stupid? How stupid?

Some drugs increase artistic side in humans esp marijuana. So you get other plus. Mass drug consumption is legal via medicine. Illegal one is not as big as you think. Just like with medicine… Drugs are ‘a shot in the dark’ at this theory.

Neutral selection is just a euphemism for no selection and no meaningful evolution. I certainly would not ally myself with the “Church” of Reality since I have been a born again Christian since 1975. I do not follow the complete dogma of any established denomination however. I believe in evolution within a species but not of a species.

Ok 88)

I certainly would not ally myself with the "Church" of Reality since I have been a born again Christian since 1975. I do not follow the complete dogma of any established denomination however. I believe in evolution within a species but not of a species.

Good for you.

You like to speak about “invisible” “facts” and “masses”.
Btw, ask the people in the netherlands if they are even more stupid :wink:

How do you want to compare old ages peoples intelligence with yours? You have no common parameters to compare. And the average citizen of those ages did not leave any prove.

I never made an IQ test. For what? To speak about it?

Stupid is who does stupid things.

And did you read about the lead?

Natural selection = positive evolution.? As if it follows a plan. And for sure, someone knows this plan. :smiley:

In all ages there were horror stories about “the new born”.
But this time its real, no?
:smiley:

Actually, yes it all does follow a plan.

Which plan?

It’s the ‘Intelligently Designed’ Flying Spaghetti Monsters plan O0

Probably time to lock this thread :P0l