How to stop CIS service

When I play games, music, work with graphics I often go off-line and shut off everything possible, both resident programs and services. This is a safe state working only with local, known, previously screened programs and files.

Between the tray icon items, MMC Services snap-in, and Process Explorer, there’s almost nothing I can’t shut down while creating a truly minimal configuration…except CMDAGENT.EXE service.

I know this is a protection to prevent trojan/virus/script from shutting down protection. I assume this is some form of elevated rights, but I don’t feel like working this through if there’s an easier answer.

Thoughts?

Set Defense+ To Training Mode in Defense>Advanced>Defense+ Settings After you finished your games & work, set it back to Safe Mode.

Josh

thanks for the answer, but I want to actually disable the service.

I already kill the tray (and all) operations of CIS when I run stripped down (which also includes killing network service, printers, etc).

The service itself seems to be running at some kind of elevated permission level, and I cannot stop the service, even with special permissions fully checked in the services access portion of the MMC.

I wonder if it is internal to the .exe??

That’s a feature. If you could disable it via MMC, then any stupid malware could disable all your protection with a simple “sc stop” or “net stop” command. :-La

Oh, you can do one slightly better than shut the service down, as I just discovered!!!

This is an incomplete safety feature:

I was able to disable the service, and after a reboot have no core service running. Even more odd was the tray .exe would load resident, then show a null sign on the tray icon. In fact, I am typing this with cfp.exe running, but the core disabled, and the firewall not running. Many users would fail to notice this.

My point is that a virus/script/etc could disable the firewall by first disabling, then rebooting the machine.

For my uses, I will set up a second system configuration with the firewall service disabled for the uses I originally posited. Take a look with Process Explorer or similar if you doubt system slowdown with it enabled…again, only for the uses I originally stated.