How to Set Up A Computer With A Dynamic IP Address

I’m currently trying to figure out how to set up a dynamic IP Address. Can anyone please help me to understand how to do this?

Thanks.

Hey Chiron.

I’m not quite sure I understand the question? You’re obviously not just referring to being allocated an IP address via DHCP, so can you give a little more detail, please.

What I would like to know is if there is a way so that if I check my IP address at http://www.whatismyip.com/ it will give a different IP address each time I restart my computer.

Is that possible?

As you’re probably aware, your ISP allocates you an Internet facing IP address, which typically has a lease duration - the amount of time the IP address will be valid for. Some ISPs allow the IP address to be changed every time you request a new one - disconnecting/reconnecting or running ipconfig /release(renew). Others will use MAC/IP address allocation, which effectively gives you a permanent address, unless you change the MAC, but then you run the risk of not being able to connect at all.

Basically, if you can force an address change using ipconfig, you should be able to have a new address whenever you want. If you’re unable to do this, but you still want to be able to change IP addresses, you’ll have to look at some third-party service such as proxies, VPNs, TOR etc.

Now I understand.

Thanks for the detailed explanation.