How to scan large movie files for viruses (700MB +)

I am using CIS as my chief AV, but noticed that it only takes 2 to 3 seconds whenever I do a direct scan on newly downloaded films / movies from Torrent sites (Vuze etc).
As these files are usually 700-900 MB in size each, I was wondering whether they get scanned at all?

Also, I have just noticed that the default setting is NOT TO SCAN FILES LARGER THAN 20MB - I have just changed that now to 999 MB - will this solve the issue?

Could you also please advise how can I add an already scanned film / movie file to my IGNORE LIST, so that in future FULL SCAN MODE my CIS will skip it?

Many thanks

Yes, that should do it.

Could you also please advise how can I add an already scanned film / movie file to my IGNORE LIST, so that in future FULL SCAN MODE my CIS will skip it?

Go to Antivirus - Scanner settings - Exclusions and add the files there.

Edit: also note that the maximum file size in the options is defined in three places: Real time scanning, Manual scanning and Scheduled scanning.

Thanks Lysias,
You were very helpful - the 999MB really did the trick and now I have added the entire Music and Film folders to my exclusion files, so they will not be scanned in future, as I intend to scan each and every film / music piece individually.
Again, Thanks

The upcoming version (scheduled for 10 february earliest) will be able to scan files even larger… up to 999 999 999 MB (Ive never seen a file that big). =) And will have some heuristic too!

cheers (:HUG)

Indeed, the new version will bring some interesting features with it. I am eagerly awaiting it :BNC

Where did you get this figure (almost 1TB) from??

Ewen :slight_smile:

Thats more than 1 TB… (:LGH)
1,048,576 MB = 1 terabyte according to http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-terabyte.htm

You can set the new CIS beta to scan files up to 999,999,999 MB and thats (almost) a 100 TB File!
If it would work with a file that large I don’t know. =)

You can try it out your self… test the beta, type in 123456789 (then you wont be able to type any more numbers in) but thats one more number than the screen can show (fit), anyway then you swap the 12345678 (keeping the nine) that will give you a 999999999 MB big file scan. :slight_smile:
(nine digits, all nines)

(image attached, showing only eight of the nine nines! since the screen don’t fit more but its sure is there)

LOL> Off with my head and on with a pumpkin! :slight_smile:

I suppose I should have looked at the beta before I posted.

Ewen :slight_smile:

You couldn’t have known without testing that one :). Even when testing it, I didn’t notice :P.

Xan