How to prevent cmdagent.exe from hogging cpu?

Hi all,
I deactivated the Sandbox feature because all programs were sent to the sandbox. Something I felt didn’t make too much sense to me. I prefer to allow and deny.

But my problem, and with the new version is, that when I open a program like e.g. Adobe Photoshop the cmdagent.exe suddenly uses an entire core. On my dual core notebook this means it suddenly hoggs 50% of my cpu. I’m not sure if it’s due to the lack of cpu (but i doubt it) or rather due to CIS itself, but programs now open extremly slowly.
Microsoft Excel used to pop-up within 3-5 seconds. Now it takes almost 10sec for the frame to appear and another 5 for it to finish loading. Same with e.g. Adobe Photoshop. Take a 2-3seconds for the Logo to appear and drags on from there.

Is CIS checking more subroutines (although it doesn’t ask me more often than the old one) or has something else changed?

Firewall is set to costum policy and defense+ is set to safe mode. sandbox is deactivated. and those two example programs are even set to trusted applications.

i hope someone can help me out because the new CIS really slows things down for me.

thank you :slight_smile:

ok so instead of starting a new topic, I will simply try a different approach.

I am running XP SP3 on a 3.2Ghz dual channel with 2GB ram. I know its a bit old but until recently it was fast enough, but now…

With CIS running all was fine, occasionally a little slow but then it started locking up when trying to start an approved program like outlook express for example with 100% cpu usage. On checking through Process Explorer I find that cmdagent is maxing out cpu and seemingly doing nothing. ok so wait a couple of minutes (sometimes up to 5 mins), and all is back to normal. other times, other programs hang ups can be longer.

With this happening quite a lot, I tried to shut down cmdagent through PE and through task manager, eventually though through cis itself I disabled it by going to running processes and kill cmdagent.

Having done this my pc is now running at close to its old speed but I am concerned that its not as safe as it should be.

having searched through a lot of stuff concerning cmdagent hogging resources or crashing out altogether, I have yet to find a real solution.

Is there anyone out there with a real fix???

Having a similar problem, except with cfp.exe not cmdagent.exe, and I made a thread about it here.

AFAIK, cmdagent is the UI for comodo, the box that opens when you double click the icon in the taskbar. In older versions of comodo that happened to me all the time, even when I was doing nothing on my PC.

Hey and warm welcome to comodo forums Mocca, Hairygeezer & biltong! :slight_smile:

I would like to see you defense+ logs (CIS → Defense+ → view defense+ events)

I would also like to know what other security software you had before CIS.

add microsoft office in exclusions of Execution Control settings (CIS —> Defense+ —> Defense+ Settings —> Execution control Settings —> Detect shellcode injections (i.e. Buffer overflow protection) —> Exclusions —> Add —> Browse…)

Regards,
Valentin N