how to mark a program completely trusted

Using:

Comodo Internet Security 3.8
Win XP SP3

I have a program that I want to make completely trusted so that I get no popup warnings at all. The program is a game (Age of Empires II - Conquerors Expansion). I can’t see any popups that occur because when I launch the game it takes over the desktop display and switches into an alternate video mode.

It runs fine if disable Defense+, but if Defense+ is on when I launch the game, the screen goes black (like normal, as the game switches video modes) and then that’s it – nothing else happens. I think this is a Defense+ popup being displayed on the desktop and waiting for input, but I can’t see it because the game has taken over the screen.

At that point all I can do is power-cycle the machine. Tried all kinds of keystrokes - ENTER, ESC, tab, ALT-tab, etc. ALT-tab will sometimes make a mouse cursor show briefly, but that is all.

The program is already marked trusted – as a Defense+ safe app, and as a Firewall Trusted application.

This may have to do with the game program being represented as both AGE2_X1.ICD and AGE2_X1.EXE. I can mark the EXE as trusted but Comodo won’t let me mark the ICD as trusted because (I’m guessing) it doesn’t think it’s an app. I don’t know what the ICD file is for, but it’s involved because I got Defense+/Firewall popups for it while launching the game.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

To disable D+ your computer needs to be rebooted.

Try setting D+ to Clean PC mode before you start the game. it will then learn the rules without popping up. Play the game for a while. After the game notch D+ back to Safe Mode.

Does that work for you?

Another strategy is to make all executable and bat files in the folder of the game part of My Own Safe Files. When the game uses a protection mechanism you also need to make .exe and .bat files of the protection program part of My Own Safe Fiiles as well.

I’m “disabling” it by setting the Defense+ Security Level to “Disabled” instead of my usual “Paranoid Mode”, by right-clicking the Comodo icon in the tray. (Sorry - I should have said that in the first place.) Do I still need to reboot in this case?

I have AoE II, both the Conquerors and Age of Kings installed.
Remove any rules already created for the game (both from the firewall and Defense+).
I used training Mode (both D+ and Firewall). Ran each game full then after exiting the game, switched back to the mode I use (Safe Mode, each). I do not get any popups for these two now, and each runs as it should.

Yes, that seems to work - even if I switch back to Paranoid Mode now.

Another strategy is to make all executable and bat files in the folder of the game part of My Own Safe Files. When the game uses a protection mechanism you also need to make .exe and .bat files of the protection program part of My Own Safe Fiiles as well.

For the record, My Own Safe Files didn’t work for this. I’m guessing this is because Comodo doesn’t recognize the ICD file as an executable (when I select the entire directory to mark as safe, the ICD file does not show up in the resulting safe list). After marking as safe then running the game with D+ in Paranoid Mode, my system locked up just like before.

But Clean PC mode seems to have fixed it.

Thanks John. I’ll try that if what I’ve got going doesn’t work out.

Are you playing online or single-player?

P.S. Always nice to talk to another AoE player.

I and my GF prefer single (challenge ourselves rather than an online oponent.) The option has always been there (and tested), but we never use it. Thank you, though.
(the GF is better than me at developing the land, I prefer the combat strategy)