How to get your PFX Certificate to import into your email program

Hello everyone,

OK, I’ve signed up and recieved my certificates for each of my emails addresses.

I’ve installed the certificate.

I’ve exported the certificate but I am only able to export as a CER or a P7B file, not a PFX or P12.

How do I do this?

God bless,
Johnathan

http://www.agodblessedman.com

Hi johnathanamber,

You need to export your public key certificate and your private key into a backup file. Just backing up the public key certificate on its own is not enough for recovery.

You can export your public key certificate and your private key from a certificate’s properties dialog. You can view a certificate’s properties either in Internet Explorer (Tools->Internet Options, Content Tab then Certificates button) or from the Certificates tab in ComodoSecureEmail configuration screen by selecting the certificate and double clicking it, or by clicking the properties button.

Once you have the certificate dialog box open, click the Details tab and then click the ‘Copy to File…’ button at the bottom right.

Follow the wizard instructions and make sure you select “Yes, export the private key” on the ‘Export Private Key’ page which is the second page of the wizard.

Kind Regards,
Shane.

Shane,

Thank you for your support and information.

I however still have an issue.

When I ‘Copy to File…’ I get to choose three options:

DER encoded binary X.509 (CER)
Base-64 encoded X.509 (CER)
Cryptographic Message Syntax Standard - PKCS #7 (P7B)

The last one has a check box which says:
Include all certificated in the certification path if possible.

I have tried all 4 options, to include the last checkbox being checked and unchecked and non of them as my if I want to export a key.

Am I doing something wrong?

God bless,
Johnathan

Hi johnathanamber,

Firstly, my apologies for not responding sooner.

I think your error could be that you are overlooking page two of the ‘Certificate Export Wizard’ which offers you the option to export your private key. This is the previous page to the one you are mentioning.

On page two, titled ‘Export Private Key’, of the ‘Certificate Export Wizard’ you should see two options:

‘Do you want to export the private key with the certificate?

( * ) Yes, export the private key.
( ) No, do not export the private key.’

You need to make sure you have selected, ‘Yes, export the private key.’.

A pfx or p12 file is a PKCS#12 (for more information see: http://www.rsa.com/rsalabs/node.asp?id=2138) and is used to store a private key along with a public key certificate. If you don’t export the private key they you won’t be able to export as a PKCS#12, since that’s the format for storing private keys and public key certificates together.

Kind Regards,
Shane.

Shane,

I apologize, but this 2nd page, doesn’t display.

It goes from the welcome screen directly to asking which format I want to export. It never asks if I want to export a key.

God bless,
Johnathan

Hi Johnathan,

I’ve asked one of the team to contact you to go over this in more detail.

There should be a key export dialog page in the Microsoft Windows Certificate Export Wizard. If there isn’t for the certificate you are attempting to export, it generally means that you don’t have the private key installed for that certificate. Do the certificate properties show you have a private key installed for this certificate?

Kind Regards,
Shane.

Shane,

Thanks for the support.

Where exactly would I see if it has a private key?

God bless,
Johnathan

Hi Johnathan,

The General tab of the certificate properties dialog box should say near the bottom.

The pink box in the attached images highlights where this is shown.

Kind Regards,
Shane.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Shane,

Again thanks for that info.

OK, I do NOT have that on any of my certs.

How can I add this?

God bless,
Johnathan

Hi, Johnathan

I have a question for you:
Do you have any certificate listed in the “PERSONAL” tab of the Certificates Option page of Comodo SecureEmail configuration utility?

SecureEmail shows only certificate with a private key in this tab.
Certificates in the “Other People” tab don’t have private key and just allow you to send encrypted e-mails to these people.

If you don’t have any certificate in “General” tab then you don’t have any installed Comodo certificate with a private key.
If you have any then you SHOULD be able to export it with private key.

According to your latest post - your certificates don’t have private key (when you checked certificates properties dialog), so, I think - you checked certificates in the “Other people” tab.

Also if certificate doen’t have private key - Certificate Export Wizard doesn’t show you page:

'Do you want to export the private key with the certificate?

( * ) Yes, export the private key.
( ) No, do not export the private key.’

So, We have 2 possible scenarios:

1. You didn’t installed certificate successfully for this user on this PC.
  2. You’ve tried to export wrong certificates (with public keys only).

I hope this post will help, feel free to ask any questions about SecureEmail.

Regards,
Eugene.

Eugene,

As for installing the certificate, I simply double click it and click on install and follow the prompts… Is there anything more than that?

If I install the certificate in the ‘Personal’ category thenw ill I be able to export to a P12 or PFX?

Is there a way to recreate the certificate for me yo install again?

God bless,
Johnathan

Hi, Johnathan

“As for installing the certificate, I simply double click it and click on install and follow the prompts… Is there anything more than that?”

Your certificate doesn’t contain private key - because it wasn’t autoinstalled to Personal certificate store.

“Is there a way to recreate the certificate for me yo install again?”

yes, You should contact support to revoke your certificate and then you would be able to order certificate again for this e-mail address.

Regards,
Eugene.