how to enable LEAK protection ONLY?

ok I’ve downloaded Comodo 3 to test it on my rig having heard of its hefty reputation, HOWEVER I’m only interested in its OUTBOUND protection (in other words anti-leak)

I know the antivirus can be disabled (is it possible not to install it at all?) however my question is can the firewall (ie. INBOUND protection) be disabled and only the outbound protection enabled? I know this was possible with Comodo 2 (just turn off the “network monitor”, and keep “application”, “component” and “application behaviour” on) but what about Comodo 3?

I ask this because I already have a hardware firewall (built into my modem/router), it has SPI & passes all the scan tests out there, so I don’t need a software firewall as well (in fact that’s the reason why I bought that modem in the 1st place), only the anti-leak protection

Hi Urizen,

Yes you can install only FW with or without D+ (Without it will set it to permanently disabled).
In the setup screen you will find a window that ask’s for it, if you already have installed it go to add/remove software and press the change/uninstall button of CIS it will bring up the option to add/remove components once you chose that you can untick AV.

The default global rules don’t block incoming traffic so i would not mind to much about it, it will alert you for outbound connections and for incoming if you host any service that is…

uh ok thx but now I’m confused :-\

Defense+ is the part that handles inbound traffic only?

basically I don’t want inbound traffic to be monitored at all (not by Comodo I mean) - in other words no checking for pings or scans, no making the PC stealthy etc. (my router takes care of all that)

this was possible with Comodo2 (switch off “Network monitor”) but is it possible with Comodo3 ?

btw what do you mean by “host any services”? ??? the only services I have running are things like svchost.exe (several instances), smss.exe, lsass.exe, csrss.exe, winlogon.exe

No sorry for the confusion, D+ is the HIPS Host Intrusion Prevention (allowing executables to start, write files, access registry etc…).

basically I don't want inbound traffic to be [i]monitored [/i]at all (not by Comodo I mean) - in other words no checking for pings or scans, no making the PC stealthy etc. (my router takes care of all that)

this was possible with Comodo2 (switch off “Network monitor”) but is it possible with Comodo3 ?

No problem, if the router blocks all those requests the default CIS installed global rules will not alert you for incoming traffic because that’s already blocked by CIS so no “need” to disable or enable that…
There is no “don’t monitor inbound traffic” option. Only thing you can do is set a global rule to allow all inbound traffic, but that should not be necessary.

btw what do you mean by "host any services"? ??? the only services I have running are things like svchost.exe (several instances), smss.exe, lsass.exe, csrss.exe, winlogon.exe
No more like webservices etc... if you are running a webserver, mailserver, ftp-server, P2P program etc... they need incoming traffic and you need to make special rules for those to allow incoming traffic, that's what i meant with services...

oh ok well then I guess I only want Defense+, not the firewall (inbound protectin) part

ok but that means the network monitor will still take up memory & resources right? :frowning: or can I avoid this with the global “allow everything” rule? or will it still analyze inbound traffic despite that rule? (that was my point btw, to disable what isn’t necessary. my rig isn’t top of the line & I do a lot of 3D gaming. also the reason why I disabled as many windows services as I could)

No more like webservices etc... if you are running a webserver, mailserver, ftp-server, P2P program etc... they need incoming traffic and you need to make special rules for those to allow incoming traffic, that's what i meant with services...
oh ok. well if network monitoring could be disabled then I wouldn't need to set up a rule for the servers (I've already done this in my modem's firewall, ie. allowed TCP for 1 port to allow some of my server apps to receive connections. this means of course that this port is never stealthed, only closed. I don't mind)

Well if you want install only as light as possible use the “firewall only” option on install.
You can change the install by going to add/remove software and selecting Comodo internet security then in it’s menu you can select add/remove components and select only firewall there.

The extra global rule won’t save you any “performance/memory” etc so i would not bother to much about it.

alrite

so basically the answer is no? :smiley:

If you don’t install the firewall, you won’t get any outbound protection. Which is what you wanted, right?

basically yeah

actually I want outbound protection without inbound protection (without the inbound protection taking up any resources). but apparently that’s not possible with the newer versions :frowning: