How to configure for access point

For some reason, I just can’t get my head around this wifi stuff. I have a motherboard which allows my computer to act as an access point. I am able to connect to the net without comodo active; however in safe mode I cannot connect.

I cannot find a guide for this type of a setup. I am a noob when it comes to wifi and firewall configuring, but certainly not computers.

Software: Vista 64
Comodo 3.9.95478.509

Any help would be great!

Thanks in advance… .

What’s the Mother Board? (Model Number)

Can you show us a screenshot of your Global Rules (Firewall → Advanced → Network Security Policy)?

Also look at the Application Rules of the Firewall (Firewall → Advanced → Network Security Policy) and see if you blocked anything.

On a side note. Did you really put your wireless adapter to wireless access point?

Are you Connected to a Router or a Modem?

How many NIC’s (and Wireless NIC’s) do you have attached to the Mother Board?

Are you trying to connect to a Wireless Router? (Model Number)

When you say “net”, are you referring to the LAN, or the Internet?

Have any Program’s been Blocked while you were in Safe Mode? (Screenshot’s of the Events may also help.)

FIREWALL > Common Tasks > View Firewall Events

DEFENSE+ > Common Tasks > View Defense+ Events

I cannot find a guide for this type of a setup.

The more we know about your Setup, the more we can help you.

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry, I should have posted more information–I was really tired last night. I have my computer set up as an access point with an Asus p5k-e wifi motherboard. I want to use the AP to connect to the internet with a notebook (Win XP) and my Nintendo Wii. I can do this when the firewall is disabled, but not when it is enabled. Therefore, the access point is working. As I have said in my op, I am a noob when it comes to wifi and firewall configuring.

I cannot post screenshots now because I am at work. Will do that when I get home.

Thanks… .

I’m just Downloading your ‘Manual’ now i[/i]. Seems that your PC is also your Router. :slight_smile:

EDIT:
On page 50 (2-24) it says…

Refer to the WiFi-AP Solo user guide for detail configuration settings.

[ Download WiFi-AP Solo user guide ]

Starts from Section 3.1.

Note:
Don’t worry ‘sidewild’, I’m not telling you to RTFM. I’m just trying to show everyone who may be reading, what you have probably done so far.

[ YouTube video of the Mother Board ]

Can you grab us a Screenshot of your ‘Network Connections’ too please (as well as the ones mentioned above).

NP J2045,

I uninstalled and reinstalled the firewall to make this a lot easier because I was fiddling around too much in it. I want to simplify things.

From what I understand (and this happened @ first install as well), when I installed the firewall a “new private network” was detected (with some addresses?) which seems to be handling the Asus AP. I checked “decide to trust other computers” while installing.

Here is a screen shot of the global rules, application rules and network connections

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/2599/comodonpx.th.jpg

This would be my suggestion, if anyone has any better idea’s, fire away…

Disable your Windows Firewall if its still running.

Right-click CIS’s System Tray icon, put both the ‘Firewall’ and ‘Defense+’ into ‘Training Mode’, then try to connect to the Internet again via your Notebook. It may detect another “new private network” when the Notebook tries to get an Internal IP address from the AP (your PC), just Accept it like you did before.

Leave them in ‘Training Mode’ until it is working, once you are happy, you can bump them both back up to ‘Safe Mode’ or ‘Clean PC Mode’.

I got it working. In the past, shortly after I first installed comodo, I was asked if I wanted to allow svchost.exe. I didn’t because it suggested not to if I wasn’t connecting to a computer. Remember my decision was not unchecked.

This time, with a fresh install and trying to connect again, I recognized the ip address. I checked allow and unchecked remember my decision. Now it is working! Do you think this was the problem? Is svchost.exe required for this?

Thanks a lot!

Some more questions:

Question: Does this mean all instances of svchost.exe will be allowed to pass? Or just the one for the connection?

Question 2: Can I go to stealth mode, and if I do, will all my internet programs still work fine (ie uTorrent)?

Question 3: I know this is not related to the firewall, but can I share files with this type of connection?

Question 4: Is the internal address the same for any computer connected, or will it change?

Thanks, this thread still helped me. Hopefully it will help others as well… .

Edit:

I disconnected and reconnected the wifi connection and Comodo didn’t warn me that svchost.exe was attempting connection again–even though I didn’t leave remember my decision checked. Is this normal?

Question 1: Does this mean all instances of svchost.exe will be allowed to pass? Or just the one for the connection?

I’m not sure, but you can check for yourself here…

FIREWALL > Advanced > Network Security Policy

If its set to Allow all, you can Tweak it for extra Security.

Here’s how… (Instead of Editing it Manually.) ;D

Go to:

FIREWALL > Advanced > Firewall Behavior Settings

Set the ‘Alert Frequency Level’ to ‘Very High’.

Go back to:

FIREWALL > Advanced > Network Security Policy

Remove the ‘svchost.exe’ Rules and click ‘Apply’.

Now try to Connect your Notebook again.

This time, when you click on the ‘svchost.exe’ Alert, the Rule generated in the ‘Network Security Policy’ section will be much different. :wink:

Don’t forget to knock the ‘Alert Frequency Level’ back down to ‘Low’ or the Alerts will drive you crazy!

I disconnected and reconnected the wifi connection and Comodo didn't warn me that svchost.exe was attempting connection again--even though I didn't leave remember my decision checked. Is this normal?

Disconnect the Notebook, Reboot the PC with the AP, then try to Connect the Notebook to it again. You may see the ‘svchost.exe’ Alert again.

Keep an eye on ‘this’ section too.

Great! Thanks alot! :smiley:

I checked and there is no application rule for it. So, I guess it was only allowed that once?

If, in the future, it is set to allow all, and I follow your suggestions, will that set to just the svchost.exe to a high alert level? (ie. I will be alerted every time it tries to communicate?

Still looking for the answers to the other questions

m… .

No. It will set EVERYTHING to ‘Alert Frequency Level’ = ‘Very High’.

(ie. I will be alerted every time it tries to communicate?

It doesn’t work like that. Test it out on your Web Browser. Then visit a Web Page. You will see what it does in the ‘Network Security Policy’ section.

So instead of Removing ‘svchost.exe’, Remove ‘iexplore.exe’ or what ever your Web Browser is. And instead of, “Connect your Notebook”, just visit a Web Page with your Browser and keep clicking ‘OK’ on each Alert. (You won’t need to click ‘OK’ if your Firewall is in ‘Training Mode’.)

Don’t forget to knock the ‘Alert Frequency Level’ back down to ‘Low’!

After you have seen what it does, just Remove the Rules for your Web Browser. You will get an Alert again the next time you Open it.

Still looking for the answers to the other questions...

I’ll check them again later. Bit busy. :-TU