How to Configure Comodo Firewall to allow inbound traffic from internet

Hello,

I am new to the forum.

I am a researcher at SUNY-Binghamton.

We have just installed Comodo Firewall 2.4.17.184 on our Server, which runs on Windows 2000 Professional OS. The machine is a PC.

We need to allow people to access our server from the Internet in order to complete research questionnaires. However, I cannot seem to get the firewall set to allow access to the server from the outside internet. I can access the server from the network on which the server is a member, but I cannot connect to the server via web links from outside the university, for example from home.

We removed ZoneAlarm from the computer as it keep causing the server to hang when it asked for updates.

What settings should I use to allow someone to access my server to complete my research questionnaires. By this I mean, a person interested in our research will see a URL on the web and should be able to click on the URL and be taken to the sever on which the questionnaires exist.

Helpful guidance? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Welcome.

I’m guessing you’re using some sort of server application to host the questionnaire, a web server? Usually, when allowing access to an application that requires server rights, you’ll need to create two sets of rules, one for the application itself and one to allow the specific protocol and port.

Depending on your current settings, which may resemble those in the first image below, you’ll be able to send and receive, to and from other devices on the same subnet, but you won’t able to receive inbound connections to the server application from outside this environment.

To counter this, you’ll need to create a Network rule that allows the appropriate protocol and port and you’ll need to create an Application rule for the application to receive that inbound connection. As an example, the application is a web server using ports 80 and 443 over TCP.

Create a Network Monitor that:

Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP
Direction - In
Source Address - Any
Destination Address - Any
Source Port - Any
Destination Port - (a set of ports) 80, 443

Create an Application Monitor rule for the Application:

Application Name - web server.exe
Action - Allow
Protocol - TCP
Direction - In
Source Address - Any
Destination Address - Any
Source Port - Any
Destination Port - (a set of ports) 80, 443

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thank you … I will give this a try tomorrow!