how to backup the Firewall application rule list?

hi,

how to backup the Firewall application rule list? When using “manage my configuration” only settings are saved and somehowthe D+ rul list too.

It could be possibility to save the Firewall appl rules list too?! Please help

no ideas? :o

You can do that by exporting from the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\Firewall Pro\Configurations\x\Firewall\Policy. X is the configuration number.

that will be great.
Have you check if this works?

X is the configuration number.
Unter \Configurations there are 0, 1 and 2, I understood that they refer to Internet , proactive and Firewall security. So I need to back up the appropriate one I use and then import it when I want to have the rules back OR should I export all 0, 1 and 2? Are the D+ application rules also stored in the registry and where? If I export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\ shall this back up [b]the whole Comodo[/b] 1-to-1 with its settings for FW, D+ (and Sandbox is active), rules for FW, D+ (and Sandbox is active), the port settings and everything else just like how Comodo is set up in the moment?

Exactly.

Are the D+ application rules also stored in the registry and where?
They are under HIPS.
If I export HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\ shall this back up [b]the whole Comodo[/b] 1-to-1 with its settings for FW, D+ (and Sandbox is active), rules for FW, D+ (and Sandbox is active), the port settings and everything else just like how Comodo is set up in the moment?
That should work too. I never tried this but from what I see what and how things are being stored I would say yes.

I did not understand have you tried to import the Firewall rules in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\Firewall Pro\Configurations\x\Firewall\Policy. Does it work? Are the saved rules back again?

On my question “So I need to back up the appropriate one I use and then import it when I want to have the rules back OR should I export all 0, 1 and 2?” you answered “exactly”. What exactly?
(1) So I need to back up the appropriate one I use and then import it when I want to have the rules back?
Or (2) should I export all 0, 1 and 2?

I did a little test. I made a restore point exported the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\Firewall Pro\Configurations\x\Firewall branch and deleted it. Then imported it successfully back in.

On my question "So I need to back up the appropriate one I use and then import it when I want to have the rules back OR should I export all 0, 1 and 2?" you answered "exactly". What exactly? (1) So I need to back up the appropriate one I use and then import it when I want to have the rules back? Or (2) should I export all 0, 1 and 2?
You need to back up the configurations you use. And then back up the complete configuration. F.e.:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\Firewall Pro\Configurations\1\.
I did a little test. I made a restore point exported the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\Firewall Pro\Configurations\x\Firewall branch and deleted it. Then imported it successfully back in.
After you delete the reg key, the Firewall appl list was empty?
You need to back up the configurations you use. And then back up the complete configuration.
??? first back up HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\Firewall Pro\Configurations\x\Firewall\Policy and then only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\Firewall Pro\Configurations\x. Right ???

For back up I would advice to save a complete configuration. That holds the Firewall rules among other things.

The reason for this is that you make a back up for emergency situation. Then you better have as much as possible backed up.

For back up I would advice to save a complete configuration.
what do you mean with complete configuration? Which reg key?

With the complete configuration I mean HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO\Firewall Pro\Configurations\x; with x being the configuration number.

as you wrote before:

Then you better have as much as possible backed up.

is it not better to back up HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO ? It saves more about Firewall, D+, general settings … right?

That’s fine with me.

I would like to aks you for a favour. As I am not at home now (and will not be there some time) could you make the following test to be sure:
(1) save some Firewall rules (if you dont have any in the FW Appl rule list). Do the same for D+. Set the "keep an alert on a screen for " to 999 sec in FW and D+
(2) make a backup of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO
(3) delete HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO (or if it not a big problem for you, uninstall Comodo)
(4) reboot (or install Comodo again if you have uninstalled it in 3 and reboot)
(5) check if the changes made in (1) are present (they should be gone???)
(6) import HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\COMODO you already had backed up in (2)
(7) reboot
(8) check if the changes made in (1) are present (now they should be there)

If this backup method works then all the changes should be back again as how it was at the beginning of the test.

Could you do this for me please. It is importent for me to now if it works… and lets me sleep better until I get back home :wink:

thanks

hi,

sorry for asking again, do you have any results refering to my previous post? Hope you can provide this test…

thanks for the info