How to backup CPF Rules and Settings? [Resolved]

Hi,

I’m new to CPF.

Could anyone tell me which files or registry entries I need to backup in case my PC crashes or I need to install CPF on another PC?

Hi and welcome. I believe what you want is here…

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,2366.0.html

Cheers,

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

However, I don’t how to use the scripts mentioned in the forum topic.

Could you please tell me where in the registry (or files) the Rules and CPF settings are kept so that I can manually export them to a .reg file (or copy the files)?

Hi again, Is this what you mean?

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,56.0.html

Paul

I beleive what you are looking for is located at…

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Software\Comodo\Personal Firewall

[EDIT] doh! Paul, you beat me by seconds i think :THNK

Thanks Paul and m0ng0d. This is exactly what I’m looking for. Hope a future version will have ‘Backup’ to file and ‘Restore’ from file features. In the meantime, the .reg file will do fine.

BTW, m0ng0d, I read your excellent and easy to understand tutorial on how to add Network Rules. Any more tutorials in this Forum from you?

Glad you enjoyed it Charlie. To date, that is the only How To that I have written here. I had challenges myself with understanding Network rules (and their place) when I first started using CPF; so writing about them helped solidify the subject in my mind.

The very next CPF feature/function to make me scratch me head will get a How To by me as well (:WIN)

You are more than welcome Charlie. :wink:

MG, since I did beat you to it, do I get First thanks or second thanks? Or can I donate the first thank you to you since you are dealing with the tutorial? If you want First thanks, i’ll e-mail it to you or perhaps swap thanks over P2P… :smiley:

Paul

I’m still buzzing from the glowing article review… so you can keep your Thanks, and in fact I’ll raise you an at-a-boy 'cause I’m in such a good mood (:CLP)

LOL. (:AGL) Well, we take what we can get. See what you did Charlie, if m0ng0d keeps his head away from sharp objects, he should be ok but if it pops he may forget the whole thing! :smiley: :smiley: :wink:

Paul

You may still need to follow the instructions for the script, to turn off Registry Protection in CPF, under the Security/Advanced/Miscellaneous tab, and set the FW to Allow All, in order to copy (and import) the registry keys.

Not saying you haven’t already thought of that, but just in case…

LM

Note: I think there should be a “referrals” counter somewhere, since I keep sending people to m0ng0d’s network rules discussion. Then we would all know exactly how popular that topic is… ;D

I’ll talk to m0ng0d and see if I can at least get you a pat on the head for the help, no guarantees! :wink: Maybe he needs his own blog off the Comodo forum…m0nbl0g!

Paul

ROFL (:AGL)

Well, when I look at the HOW TO’s … I am appreciative of how many hits I get… I just can’t believe how much more popular the bittorrent one is. I mean, I even use defining a bittorrent rule as one of my examples and it still wins? (:AGY) (:SHY) (:TNG)

I guess that shows where the priorities are (:TNG)

Well, when you have a job well done, GLOAT! We only go round once, make the most of it! So let me know if you need help designing m0nbl0g, lol, i’ll get right on it. :smiley: Seriously though, good help article… :wink:

Paul

Well I guess we can mark this one as Resolved now. Sorry for hijacking your thread Charlie… we tend to have some fun where we can!!
(:AGL) :BNC (:CLP) :■■■■

No problem, I enjoy reading your posts. I hope you will have more How Tos. And perhaps a link to most How Tos in this Forum.

Thanks for bringing this up. I tested by deleting a Rule and clicking the .reg file I imported earlier. It works. Does this mean that CPF’s Registry Protection doesn’t work as I obviously did change its registry settings by opening the .reg file? Where is the option to Allow All?

Updated: Please ignore my previous paragraph. Registry Protection does work. I forgot that I exited CPF before importing my settings from the .reg file. Sorry.

Hello,

As this issue has been marked as Resolved, I will go ahead and close this topic.