how to access our office LAN

first of all, good day to all.
to start with, im new with this firewall thing and is not a computer techie,so please bear with me.
i just installed the latest comodo free firewall but after installing and activating the software now i CANNOT ACCESS OUR OFFICE NETWORK, but still I can access internet through our office LAN.
can anyone of you please try to teach me what to do or what to set up so that i can access again our office network,because i usually back up my PERSONAL files in our office server.(by the way Im using a personal laptop here in the office).
hope you could help me guys.
thank you in advance and hoping for your step-by-step help/tutorials.
thank you.

Hello and welcome to the forums.

The Short Answer is to…

• open CPF GUI
  • click Security along the top
  • make sure you’re on the Task tab
  • and click the Define a new Trusted Network Wizard (on the bottom)
  • follow the wizard and let it add the new rules

The long answer has to do with network shaping… when you feel like reading more on the matter, check out my How To - Understanding & Creating Network Control Rules properly FAQ

thank you for the prompt reply.
sorry if I am quite annoying with me questioning you guys a lot but as I’ve said, i am a novice with this “computer firewall thing”.I was just informed by a friend to try COMODO and stop using windows firewall for better security.
as a follow up question(if its ok with you guys) after clicking DEFINE A NEW TRUSTED NETWORK in the SECURITY portion of the TASK tab, now I can access our office LAN. I can now access ALL PC’s connected to our office LAN but this is where my FOLLOW UP QUESTION starts - does this mean that ALL of the OFFICE PC’s connected to our office LAN can now ACCESS ALL MY SHARED FILES?if so, can I try to make my computer including all my shared files “INVISIBLE” or “STEALTH” to all other pc’s connected in our office LAN?
what I mean is that CAN I ACCESS OTHER PC’S CONNECTED TO OUR OFFICE LAN WITHOUT THEM ACCESSING MY COMPUTER?
because I try to search comodo firewall in the internet for reviews / ratings and I had read that comodo firewall can and is able to hide your own pc(stealth mode) while still you can access other pc in the network.
hope you could shed some light into this question.
again,thank you for the time you gave to me in answering my question.
thanks again in advance.
hoping for your help again.

G’day,

Given that 1) you have stated that you are on a corporate LAN, 2)you want to be able to see other shares and network resources and 3) don’t want your shares to be seen, I feel that this question is best answered by the IT staff within your company.

This setup would not be allowed on the LAN I work on, unless for business-specific needs that had been properly authorised by the owners of the LAN.

Although CPF can do this easily, I don’t think that it’s appropriate to disclose how. This info is best supplied by your IT staff, if they think that it fits within their policies.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

again guys, thank you for the support.

Although CPF can do this easily, I don’t think that it’s appropriate to disclose how. This info is best supplied by your IT staff, if they think that it fits within their policies.”

as quoted above, how can COMODO PERSONAL FIREWALL do this?(“what I mean is that CAN I ACCESS OTHER PC’S CONNECTED TO OUR OFFICE LAN WITHOUT THEM ACCESSING MY COMPUTER?”)

its not that Im the bad guy in our office or something - I just want to feel secure that my PERSONAL LAPTOP is SAFE while im using it here in the OFFICE although Im accessing some of my personal folders in our office server I DONT WANT OTHER PC USER in OUR OFFICE TO ACCESS MY PERSONAL PC, that is the only reason why I want to make my pc invisible to other users.
hope you would understand my reason and hope you could help me.

thank you again.

NP. I wasn’t implying that you were the “bad guy”, and I can understand your need to keep your personal laptop segregated from your office LAN. However (putting on his LAN security hat), on the network I use at work, we are not allowed to connect privately owned equipment to our corporate LAN. This is to ensure that the only devices attached to the network conform to the corporate security policy.

The only recommendation I can make (others may jump in and tell you how, but, ethically, I can’t) is to contact your IT staff and get them to set it up. Its not hard and they’ll be able to figure it out.

Cheers,

thank you for the support and help.

I just use my personal laptop here in our office to:

1. update my windows xp
  2. update my anti virus / anti spyware
  3. back up / access my personal files in our office server
  4. share some picture / files to some of my friends in the office

i understand your point,actually it was our office IT who configured my laptop so I can connect to our office LAN and i think it would be a big favor AGAIN on his side if would ask him to help me to be in stealth mode that is why I was trying on my own to to do it by browsing comodo help forums.

anyway,your support and help to me is much appreciated.
thank you.

Thanks for understanding. If you have a word in the ear of your IT guy and say something along the lines of “make my lan rules one way”, he should be able to do what you want in a blink.

Hope this helps,

Directional Anti-“Trusted Zone” (:NRD) so sneaky (:AGL)

Sneaky, but useful! :wink: