How the Comodo Sandbox works - technical discussion

Indeed… that’s phonetically what’s happening in the song. English is not my native language, so I hadn’t clicked to using phonetical writing to further state my case…:wink:

That’s the funny thing about the Monty Python sketch. They’re singing it with exactly the same pronunciation and giving each other funny looks because they just don’t understand the point of the song. :smiley:

that sounds funny. id like to see it

By default, I run XP Pro SP3 under a limited account, so are there any advantages to using the sandbox feature? Is sandboxing really only needed for those who use admin accounts?

:slight_smile:

Its not only needed… Its fun… Just made a cool slogan comodo could use:

Are you tierd of having your programs working all the time.. 88)

Try the new CIS sandbox (aka crashbox), most of the time things you tries to lunch in it will just crash during startup… But on rare occasions you will actually see something working… Could it be more fun? :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously tho… COMODO sandbox if woriking correctly should restricting your programs more than a limited user… If you need it?? Probably not, but I think the comodo approatch of just sandboxing anything unknown will be great for “newbs” to prevent most the bad stuff that they tries to start from harming their systems…

OS Provides alot of security as another point. Yes, the sandbox programs start with limited rights (LUA control alike) and since virtualisation is not yet enabled by default, D+ acts as another layer and automatically blocks file system/registry access to critical keys/files.

Sandbox is default-deny and handles unknown apps automatically which is another tick for the newbies.

Cheers,
Josh

am i wrong by saying this? isnt the goal of cis to work for newbs and grannys?

I think it is… Maby its not made for the complete computer illiterate, but version 4 seems to me as it is aimed to be usable(work) for most people… :slight_smile: :-TU

Which also means you do not have to sandbox your browser so when you empty the sandbox you don’t loose bookmarks and settings etc.

I have a program called Quicken by Intuit which I have used for 15 years. CIS4 reports it as sandboxed and it will not start. The only solution I can find is to untick ‘automatically run unrecognised programs in the sandbox’.

I need to access this program daily, so can I make an exception to authorise it without allowing other unknown apps?

I have been away off line, so maybe missed a previous solution to this. It does not appear in ‘Programs in the Sandbox’.

Add the application to My Own Safe Files. :wink:

Thanks JoWa that has sorted it. :-TU :-TU

OK so virtualization is off. But I have a System\Sandbox registry key called sandbox, with progs listed as sub-keys. Some of these progs have stopped working, presumably due to being run with limited permissions? (They are hidden from sysinternals autoruns as well - think this is a good thing, but it was confusing as I’d just disabled a lot of the progs in a search for another bug, now cannot see what I disabled - oh the complexities of technology and the limits of the human brain!)

Nothing in C:\sandbox.

Nothing at all to indicate that anything is being sandboxed in the GUI, but I guess that’s known from your earlier comments.

Is the list of keys under system\sandbox in the registry a good guide to what is sandboxed?

So I can address this if I want to by declaring these safe files - why safe and not trusted? Probably a basic Q this, sorry.

Mouse

Could some one give me a detailed explanation of the differences between the options when choosing to run an application in the sandbox please?

Untrusted
Restricted
Limited
Unrestricted

Thanks

It’s rather difficult to test the sandbox if we don’t know how it’s intended to function.

this is confusing to me, so let me ask.does the sandbox feature work in this beta?thanks

Thanks for the explanations. I was somewhat unsure why sandboxed applications could make changes to the registry and files. I was more expecting a full blown sandbox rather than a partial one, but we have to think of the sandbox as an extra security feature, not as the traditional application.

Cheers

Could I ask please

a) whether the appended registry key list is a list of the programs currently sandboxed? Several of them are not functioning correctly which suggests withdrawal of priviledges.
b) how any I want permanently UN-sandboxed can be UN-sandboxed?. Putting items in My Safe files does not seem to affect this list.
c) If I want to install a new program how can I say that I do not want it to be sandboxed?

Many thanks in anticipation

Mouse

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for sharing the link a wonderful song :slight_smile:

I think it’s can help comodo a lot.

Would 3xist, Egemen, or Ronny care to comment as to why CIS Beta fails CLT so badly when using the Sandbox? It is making me a little paranoid. I’m thinking of using CIS with Sandboxing disabled. With it disabled, CIS passes CLT a lot better. I can’t seem to get an answer on this subject. I hope one of you will relieve me of my worries.

https://forums.comodo.com/cis4-beta-testing/leak-tests-understanding-results-t50776.0.html;msg362832#msg362832