How do you set predifined policies

I am using free comodo 4.0.135239.742. I don’t get any popups for treat this application as.

And even if it is up and running it does not show in the list. How do I get my browser and utorrent and veoh web player to be defined under the policies? Or is it that with the free version you are just open wide now…?

The 'All applications" policy will apply to any application you’ll launch and thus no popup alert will be displayed (when applicable)

Even deleting that policy, utorrent and many browsers (Firefox, Internet explorer etc) are recognized as safe application and are unlikely to trigger any firewall popup-alert until the firewall is set to Custom Policy mode

If you wish to use the firewall in Safe mode you might find additional info in “Firewall Behavior Settings” of cis help file (available by opening cis gui and pressing F1)

[b]Create rules for safe applications[/b]

Comodo Firewall trusts the applications if:

The application/file is included in the My Own Safe Files list under Defense+ Tasks > Common Tasks;

The application is from a vendor included in the My Trusted Software Vendors list under Defense+ Tasks > Common Tasks;

The application is included in the extensive and constantly updated Comodo safe list.

By default, CIS does not automatically create ‘allow’ rules for safe applications. This helps saving the resource usage, simplifies the rules interface by reducing the number of ‘Allowed’ rules in it, reduces the number of pop-up alerts and is beneficial to beginners who find difficulties in setting up the rules.

Enabling this checkbox will instruct CIS to begin learning the behavior of safe applications so that it can automatically generate the ‘Allow’ rules. These rules will be listed in the Network Security Policy > Application Rules interface. The Advanced users can edit/modify the rules as they wish.

Background note. Prior to version 4.x , CIS would automatically add an allow rule for ‘safe’ files to the rules interface. This allowed advanced users to have granular control over rules but could also lead to a cluttered rules interface. The constant addition of these ‘allow’ rules and the corresponding requirement to learn the behavior of applications that are already considered ‘safe’ also took a toll on system resources. In version 4.x, ‘allow’ rules for applications considered ‘safe’ are not automatically created – simplifying the rules interface and cutting resource overhead with no loss in security. Advanced users can re-enable this setting if they require the ability to edit rules for safe applications (or, informally, if they preferred the way rules were created in CIS version 3.x)

You also need to enable CIS to “Create rules for safe applications”. That needs to be done under Firewall → Advanced → Firewall Behaviour Settings.

does this just not work with the free version? I still get no pop ups. is there a way to go back to adding the predifined policies?

Picture just the same…

You do not understand the basic difference between free and paid for.
The only difference is that you get a salaried nursemaid on the other end of the telephone to guide you and fix problems for you.
The actual protection is the same regardless of free or paid for.

I guess there may be the odd difference in such things as whether or not there is an active button that launches an on-line chat, or invites Comodo staff to take remote control of your P.C. to fix problems,
but FREE protection is COMPLETE, and not degraded to encourage a paid for upgrade,
unlike some Security Suite software that only gives sub-standard protection to those who opt for Free instead of paying for the Professional carrot.

Alan