How do I make Windows Installer (Uninstaller) work while in Safe Mode.

Symptom:

1. Windows Installer service could not be accessed.

2. Cannot uninstall or install programs when in Safe Mode.
    a. Also applies to Safe Mode with Networking.

Cause
    :

3. Windows Installer will not work under Safe Mode; this means that programs cannot be installed or uninstalled in safe
    mode without giving a specific command using MSIEXEC in command prompt. If you try to uninstall programs in Safe
    Mode, you may receive the following message: The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if
    the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

Recommended Troubleshooting steps:

To make windows installer work under safe mode you will need to create a registry entry for every type of safe mode you
are logging into:

I. Safe Mode:

1. Type the following in the command prompt and hit/click Enter:
    REG ADD “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer” /VE /T REG_SZ /F
    /D “Service”

2. Then start the Windows Installer service from the Command Prompt by typing the following:
    “net start msiserver”

II. Safe Mode with Network:

1. Type the following in the command prompt and hit/click Enter:
    REG ADD “HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Network\MSIServer” /VE /T REG_SZ /F
    /D “Service”

2. Then start the Windows Installer service from the Command Prompt by typing the following:
    “net start msiserver”

III. Contact GeekBuddy Support

You can reach us through 855-301-4475 or 888-351-8017.
Or if already a GeekBuddy Customer, you can chat with a live help expert through the client chat application
installed on your PC. Simply indicate your issue as “Windows Installer Service Not Working”, or simply as
“Windows Installer Service”.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks, would have been useful this weekend when I tried to install CIS on my father’s new laptop, BSODs everywhere and would BSOD as soon as one logged in and couldn’t uninstall in safe mode, ended up simply reinstalling windows from the hidden partition since we didn’t have anything to lose on that installation (was completely new)