how do i know that my system is clean? and some additional questions

hi all, (:WAV)
i ask this question regarding the launching of CFP3 final (clean pc mode installation).
i used to think that my comp is clean until one day i tried DrWebCureIt and found several nasties on my restore points/system volume information.now i can’t be sure about it anymore. (:AGY)
so is there any way to know it?

and a couple of questions:

1. what’s the worst thing could possibly happen if someone knows your IP address on the internet?
  2. is it possible a malware still nest on comp even after OS reinstallation?

Ganda

1. Your data can be stolen. Especially with private or crucial information like credit card numbers (I sincerely hope your level is beyond that :P) that is stored on your computer. This assumes you value such info over your computer data itself (like an in operable computer assuming it has been infected with irreversible malware) and also assume the one who targeted your computer is a super hacker. Even more so if your ISP only assigns you a static IP address. That’s my imagination of the worst possible scenario.
  2. Nothing is impossible. You must’ve been sick of that statement by now ;D. Good news is that such possibility is usually low. I myself don’t recall having heard or known of others that still have infections after OS reinstallation. Of the all the known malware, I guess rootkits are the most likely in this field.

Well is there any product out there that can guarantee 100% cleaning? I think not!

Melih

hi all, Wave i ask this question regarding the launching of CFP3 final (clean pc mode installation). i used to think that my comp is clean until one day i tried DrWebCureIt and found several nasties on my restore points/system volume information.now i can't be sure about it anymore. Angry so is there any way to know it?

First of all, make sure you’re using a genuine MS install CD/DVD only (or a copy if you have made it personally). Don’t install any additional apps until you have installed CFP and configured it correctly for your purposes.

and a couple of questions:

1) what's the worst thing could possibly happen if someone knows your IP address on the internet?

Nothing, if your PC is secured.

2) is it possible a malware still nest on comp even after OS reinstallation?

Only if it’s a pirate copy of the OS you decide to install

Ga

(:AGY) still can’t quote.

Well is there any product out there that can guarantee 100% cleaning? I think not!
ok, but i just wanna know if my comp is clean or not. and if it isn’t clean, then i have to reinstall my OS before installing CFP3 :stuck_out_tongue: that’s why i ask question no.2.

2) Nothing is impossible. You must’ve been sick of that statement by now ;D. Good news is that such possibility is usually low. I myself don’t recall having heard or known of others that still have infections after OS reinstallation. Of the all the known malware, I guess rootkits are the most likely in this field.
:o :o good thing i have a hammer. so i guess i can’t do clean pc installation >:(

1. i don’t use any credit card, but i do internet banking a lot. do you think someone can steal the PIN/Password?

i’m depressed! :cry:

1) i don't use any credit card, but i do internet banking a lot. do you think someone can steal the PIN/Password?

Only if someone has access to your PC. Keep it locked down, don’t ‘surf’ to dodgy sites, don’t download/install pirated software and you should be ok.

Oh, and don’t keep any private information, that you don’t want anyone else to see, on your PC :slight_smile:

hey, this is a nice relieving answer :smiley: thx toggie (soya >:( )

Nothing, if your PC is secured. ==> CFP 2.4 & CMG

Only if it’s a pirate copy of the OS you decide to install ==> :BNC

First of all, make sure you’re using a genuine MS install CD/DVD only (or a copy if you have made it personally). Don’t install any additional apps until you have installed CFP and configured it correctly for your purposes. [/b]
??? you mean i have to reinstall my OS first? :cry:

[b]Only if someone has access to your PC. Keep it locked down, don’t ‘surf’ to dodgy sites, don’t download/install pirated software and you should be ok.

Oh, and don’t keep any private information, that you don’t want anyone else to see, on your PC
[/b]
oh, nobody touch my comp!
how it’s possible surfing to dodgy sites can make me lose any private info? (i have CFP )

read up on ‘drive by downloads’, just for your paranoia :slight_smile:

read up on ‘drive by downloads’, just for your paranoia
done, pheew. god bless wiki ;D
i have CMG btw. do you think CFP+CMG still can’t prevent those kind of attack?

oh, and what about my first question? there’s no way to know if my PC is clean or not? reinstalling OS is the last thing i wanna do in my life (or maybe second last thing ;D )

Without doing a completely fresh install, there’s no guarantee.

CFP and CMG will help and should stop most threats, but use a browser like fx opera and not IE (unless you know how to configure it securely) . Disable javascript, java, flash, shockwave and away you go :slight_smile:

OK. thx toggie. :■■■■
i won’t do the clean pc then. so sad >:(

My advice, for what it’s worth. Get yourself a good drive image program. Wipe your hard disk and reinstall. Install CFP and get it configured the way you want it. Next install your drive image application and take a snapshot of your installation. save that image to a separate partition/disk.

Create a bartpe disk and create a plugin (if one doesn’t already exist) for your drive image app.

Now if you need to reinstall, it takes 5 minutes :slight_smile:

Have fun

what about just scanning your computer with about 10 different anti virus/spyware/malware online scanners? i’m sure that would get you to about 99.9% clean i would assume.

I think Ganda wants 100% satisfaction guaranteed ;D.

To add to Toggie’s imaging advice, make sure the internet is disconnected while you do all of that. Best be prepared to have all your security programs set before you image the PC (especially a firewall!).

PS: Our admin fixed the quoting function.

Yes, Quotes are working once again now :stuck_out_tongue:

There is no way to be 100 per cent sure. If you want to be reasonably sure, do full scans with several antivirus and antispyware, after having done several scans with antirootkits. I’ve heard tales of rootkits that may survive through a lot of things, but I wouldn’t let that keep me from sleeping.

I myself am tranquil with Avira AntiVir and BOClean and scans by AVG AS and Kaspersky online that never detect any single thing. Also my system is not so exposed because I never surf with admin rights and I block javascript and so by default. If my system had been compromised in the past I’d be more wary though.

Well God bless Microsoft a fresh install didn’t always gurantee a 100% safety. :stuck_out_tongue:
What about Blaster (computer worm) - Wikipedia or other similiar worms.

Will be another issue like this in future?
http://money.cnn.com/2003/11/05/technology/microsoftbounty/index.htm?cnn=yes

That particular day I had a fresh reinstall and I was updating my OS using Windows Update, few seconds later I was infected :-\

Was that with a firewall in place already? And with M$'s ports closed?

Welll at the time we were barely on SP1 and I thought I got no problem to stay online to get all updates from MS :-[
If this is not enough I had an Usb modem that enabled Netbios on tcp everitme it was installed :-\

But I guess you are right, installing V3 before getting any update will prevent something like that ;D

But I guess this is not common sense yet. At least before learning the lesson I thought so :-[