HIPS Protected Objects read-only access not working

ok, wait devs or users more experient…

Hi Reece . . . this thread may help you out Protected Files

Thanks Ploget.

Ah yes, broken documentation again.

It actually makes little sense why Protected Files only works in Paranoid mode yet Blocked Files does not.

If you want to prevent an untrusted application from modifying files you run it in the container.

Therefore Protected Files should provide read-only to selected files when accessed by (hijacked) Trusted Applications.

Infinite times :-TU

No feedback, no sign that it ever wil get fixed, no nothing, end of discussion instead.
Your message falls on deaf ears, very sad.

It’s a work in progress from what I’m told being worked on. I have no official input for sure, but think the dev team should focus on fixing the core features and bugs before adding new features or expanding on new software functions and concepts at all. Fix the engine before adding new tires ?

I believe what you say but this core defect is more then 7 years old. I’ve checked the same feature in CIS V5 recently and there it also doesn’t work as expected or as stated in the manual. I could go back to even older versions and try the same feature in those versions too, but would that make sense?
Do they still call this work in progress after so long?
When will this work in progress being worked on be finished? Ask me and I will say never but let them prove otherwise.

Comodo CIS is undoubtedly a great product but their business is seriously lacking a rock solid Quality Assurance department. Do they actually have such a department???

Infinite times :-TU

They just keep adding new features to CIS without taking care of fixing these kind of core bugs of previous or older features. In this way the number of bugs will explode in the near future and the product will become more and more unstable and unreliable. Just take a look at some recent releases to see what is already happening.

Suppose Comodo would be a car dealer and you bought a brand new 4-wheel drive car from them. After driving the car for some miles you discover that it actually is only a 3-wheel drive car so you go back to Comodo to complain about it and ask them to get it fixed to make it 4-wheel drive as stated in the user manual. Instead of fixing it they tell you that the user manual is wrong and that the car works as intended - while falling off your chair in surprise you stumble - sorry, say what???

Hello,

W10 Famille - 20H2 - 19042.804 / CFW : 12.2.2.7098

I add a file in HIPS “Protected Files” following :

It is written : “Programs on your computer can read the items in here, but cannot modify them.”

That is the only change I have made.

Normally this file should not be able to be modified (there are no restrictions/exclusions in the Help on applications (trusted/untrusted ) that might override this rule).
But I was able to change it.

Please use search as this the third topic on this issue which I have now merged all together, protected files is for protecting them from modification by non-trusted applications. When you edit the file, you are doing so using an application that is trusted by CIS so it will not be prevented unless you set HIPS to paranoid mode.

I take note of your answer.

It is therefore necessary to update the page “Protected Files” in Comodo Help.

It has been a while…
And meanwhile Dharshu left the company…
So my message goes to C.O.M.O.D.O RT…

Hi C.O.M.O.D.O RT,

I would highly appreciate to get some feedback regarding implementation status and if we can expect a fix in a subsequent CIS version.

It is therefore necessary to update also the page “Protected Objects” in Comodo Help :

Protected Files / Registry Keys / COM interfaces - Items you add to these areas can be read by other processes, but not modified by them.

Please read this entire (newly merged) thread to know what this is all about.
There is no need to update the Help manual as the feature description has been in there from nearly the very first CIS version ever.
Comodo’s QA didn’t check this feature in CIS for all these years so unfortunately the discrepancy between CIS and the Help manual regarding this feature existed for several decades and still exists today.

I hope to get feedback from C.O.M.O.D.O RT on my previous post about the status of this feature also because other forum members are requesting this feature.