HIPS locks down system in a specific configuration

Oh for crying out loud, i’m not gonna use the stupid “standard” bug report format, because it’s just dumb. And if you don’t want to fix the issue if i don’t use it, then F… it.

I’ve noticed that HIPS will lock up system entirely with NO way of recovering it except with System Restore.

How to reproduce the bug:
Enable HIPS, also enable “Enable enhanced protection mode” and delete ALL rules in all subsections.

This way, at least in theory should mean that if there are no rules, no rules should be triggered or blocked.
Everything will work well until you switch the HIPS mode to “Paranoid”. When you do that, in a few seconds, you won’t be able to do ANYTHING with the system. Mouse will move but you won’t be able to click anything or open anything. Also no way to change HIPS level to anything less than Paranoid mode.
Only way to get system back is to use System Restore…

What should happen or what i expected?
Nothing. Nothing should happen because if there are no rules, nothing should be triggered or blocked. But CIS apparently blocks EVERYTHING if there are no rules on the HIPS list, be it allow or block rules. Empty list in paranoid mode means LOCK EVERYTHING DOWN. And by everything, it means EVERYTHING, even CIS itself and the OS. Which makes no sense at all. I wanted to use HIPS as an extension for a very specific file protection and because of this, i can’t do it at all because it will either trigger bunch of other rules that i DON’T want or if i remove them, it will lock the system completely. I also don’t want to use “Safe Mode” to avoid signed malware from tricking CIS into allowing it access to protected stuff.

Only thing that i don’t get it is, how come it doesn’t lock up if you keep HIPS in “Safe Mode” mode? For as long as i keep it in “Safe Mode” it will work perfectly fine. But as soon as i flip the setting to “Paranoid”, it locks down the system.

System config:

• CIS 6.2.282872.2847 (AV and FW)
  • Sandbox level set to “Limited”
  • Windows 7 SP1 64bit (fully updated)
  • No other security apps installed

Anyone willing to try and test this (either on real system or in VM)? Just make sure you create a System Restore point before testing. When it locks down the system, boot into Windows Safe Mode and use System Restore there to gain access to the system again. I’ve tried it twice and it restored perfectly in both cases…

EDIT:
I’ve disabled “Enable enhanced protection mode” and it still locked up entire system when i set CIS to Paranoid mode…

First up we know already that the bug report format is one of your pet hates and we know you a sure going to rebel against it, but please stop being disrespectful about it acting like a spoilt brat.

Second up if issues are not resolved because procedures are not followed, well then do not come back complaining.

Please do not reply to my reply in the topic, please send a PM if you need to discuss it further.

Thank you.

Why i even bother with you people… 88)

Did you even read anything I wrote? ???

Why should i? You seem to be more concerned about some moronic bug report format than the bug itself (it always seems to be this way and only with Comodo and no other program i’ve ever filled a bug report for). That’s all i had to read… I don’t have time filling up some pointless data that is not even relevant to the problem and repeating same things in a different way on every ■■■■ paragraph you expect us to fill.

How freakin hard is it to follow what i wrote and just test the ■■■■ thing? If you can’t reproduce it then, THEN i’ll add more RELEVANT data. But i see no point in writing a whole freakin bug report book even before anyone even bothers to test the problem…

Because I asked nicely not to reply in the topic about my post.

How freakin hard is it to follow what i wrote and just test the ■■■■ thing?
Comodo maybe willing to test it, but with that attitude I am sure not going to test it for you.

This is my final time at asking you to calm down and to not continue this OT discussion in this topic.

Thank you.

How to appeal against Moderators decisions

My attitude… what a joker…

I’ve used a program, it’s broken, i’ve reported the problem. I don’t need to be your friend and i don’t need you to be my friend. All i wanted was to report a bug. As it is in my words without some dumb reporting format no one gives a ■■■■ about except you. This isn’t some automated system that sorts out the stuff, it’s just a plain forum. So i have absolutely no clue why the hell you’re making such a big deal out of it.

Rejzor. It is quite simple. If you want exposure for a bug it needs to follow format. Comodo QA people will read the format verified ones and might read non format verified ones

It’s up to you. Ranting and getting an attitude is not going to make us move your report to format verified bugs.

What exactly did you remove when in Paranoid Mode. Only the HIPS rules or also entries in Rulesets and Protected Objects?

On a related side not. Did you try changing configuration in Safe Mode instead of using system restore? That’s what I would do in your situation as it may be quicker. I would import and activate a factory clean Proactive Configuration.

With all due respect.
if you dont like how the program works then dont use it.
if you feel it is broken then use something else.

Thanks.

I am not making a big deal out of bug reporting, that is you doing that. ???

I am making a big deal out of your attitude and dis-respectfulness.

Any form of disrespect is in the breach of the Forum Policy and I have a duty of making sure the Forum Policy T&C’s are followed.

You are once again being reviewed for your recent actions.

LMAO. With other programs, if you report a bug, they ■■■■■■ fix it. You don’t run to another program as soon as you encounter a problem. Except maybe with Comodo, because it has zero support apparently and that is the only option to go.

You know that Comodo fixes bugs. One you reported earlier this year is fixed and is waiting for the new UI elements needed to be implemented.

You don’t run to another program as soon as you encounter a problem. Except maybe with Comodo, because it has zero support apparently and that is the only option to go.
You are free to leave of course. We live in a free world.

But rather I would like you to answer the questions I asked you in which I am trying to narrow down the specific circumstances under which the lock down happens.

Please drop the bovine manure and combative attitude and get back on topic.

Please answer EricJH’s questions so we can better understand this bug.

PM sent.

I will move this to the non-format verified section of the forum, as not enough information is required to forward it to the devs. Please put your report in the requested format. I would really like to see this fixed, and forwarding this to them is the only way to get it fixed.

Also, please be aware that files in the non-formatted section of the forum are only rarely looked at by the devs. Thus, in order to get this fixed please attach the requested information and send me a PM. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Thank you.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (version 6.3.294583.2937)? Please let us know whether it is fixed or you are still experiencing the problem.

Also, note that all bug reports in the Non-Format section of the forum, which is where this report currently is, are mainly not looked at by the devs. Thus, if the bug you were experiencing is still not fixed please edit your first post so that it is in the correct format (found here, with all required attachments), so I can forward this to the devs and get this problem fixed.

Thank you.

PM sent.

Can you please check and see if this is fixed with the newest version (7.0.313494.4115)? Please respond to this topic letting us know whether it is fixed or if you are still experiencing the problem.

Also, note that all bug reports in the Non-Format section of the forum, which is where this report currently is, are mainly not looked at by the devs. Thus, if the bug you were experiencing is still not fixed please edit your first post so that it is in the correct format (found here, with all required attachments), so I can forward this to the devs and get this problem fixed.

Thank you.

PM sent.

I’m sorry, but as this has been in the Incomplete section for more than a single period I must now move this to Resolved. If you are still experiencing this issue, please create a properly formatted bug report, with all required information, so that this can be forwarded to the devs.

Thank you.