Hips blocks Windows Update with non-existant "Unsafe file" CAVS 2.0B

I’m having a weird HIPS problem. The current problem is that whenever I try to manually install Windows October Malware removal tool, I get a very brief flash of a message that HIPS has found the file mrtstub.exe in the user’s unsafe list. That is a paraphrase because the message disappears before I can even begin to start to copy it and I can’t get PRINT SCREEN to capture it.

It started when someone - probably me - accidentally blocked mrtstub.exe during an Update Install. Apparently, this happened several times because when I checked the ALLOW/BLOCKED list I found mrtstub.exe listed as a BLOCKED file several times. I’ve managed to change the setting to ALLOW on all but one of the copies of mrtstub.exe. When I try to change it to ALLOW or remove it I get another briefly flashed message that the file does not exist.

I need to learn how to get it off of my user unsafe list. I’d also like to know how can a file that does NOT exist be blocking the execution of mrtstub.exe.

Here is the version information that I get when I click CAVS>ABOUT>VERSION INFORMATION>SEND and copy it from the email that it starts.

Product Information
Build Version: 2.0.12.47
DataBase Version: 2.0.0.317
AllowDB Version: 2.0.15.51
Program Updates Version: 2.0.17.58

License Information
License Status: Activated
Product Installation Date: 16-Jun-2007
Product Activation Date: 03-Oct-2007

Program Files Information
CMain.exe: 2.0.12.42
CavApp.exe: 2.0.11.39
CavSn.exe: 2.0.11.41
CavAud.exe: 2.0.9.26
CavMud.exe: 2.0.9.26
Cavasm.exe: 2.0.1.8
CavEmSrv.exe: 2.0.11.40
CAVSubmit.exe: 2.0.11.49
cavengine.dll: 2.0.0.5

System Information
Operating System: Windows XP
Operating System Version: 05.01.2600
Service Pack: Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer Version: 7.0.5730.13

Hardware Information
Central Processing Unit (CPU): Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.40GHz
Total Memory: 510MB

I’m sorry about the length of this post but I’m trying to answer all of the questions that COMODO Support has asked me before referring me to the FORUM.

ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED BECAUSE I TRY TO KEEP MY UPDATES CURRENT AND AM NOT EVEN SURE IF GETTING THE UPDATES IS WORKING OR IF THE PROBLEM IS CONFINED TO INSTALLING THIS PARTICULAR UPDATE.

Thank you.

Don Jones

Ganda or Justin, do either of you have any suggestions on this?

Oh, yes, b] the problem even occurs with HIPS CONTROL "Disabled."size][/b]

I know I’m impatient, but I’m a longhaul trucker who must leave home Sunday and would really like to have this resolved before I leave.

Thank you for any suggestions besides deleting CAVS.

(:SAD)

It is quite annoying. For ages CAVS would not let us delete an entry in the allow/block list if the file did not exist. Then after a set of updates it did allow this. Now, after the latest updates it does not allow it again and files that are allowed are being marked as Blocked on the list even though CAVS allows them. Roll on CAVS 3!

I think the only thing you can try is to re-install CAVS and see if this fixes it, I could be wrong, maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can suggest an alternative but I can see no other way of re-setting the allow/block list at the moment.

:SMLR

I was afraid that would be the advice – uninstall and reinstall. The problem with that approach is the horrendous amount of relearning by the program.

Can anyone tell me how the HIPS can block the application even if HIPS CONTROL is disabled/turned off?

As good as the rest of their products are, I’m begining to think that CAVS is more trouble than it is worth.

Can anyone else give me any suggestions – what about someone from COMODO who supposedly monitor closely the posts on the forums. Any kind of “offical” response would be greatly appreciated over being ignored!