High CPU usage during Youtube and similar

A quick search of the above problem in Firefox and Firefox based browsers reveals a method to supposedly end it.

I’m finding my machine whining up loudly and a check in the Task Manager under Processes, reveals it going up into the 80’s percent in one particular process - a relatively new sub program called plugin-container.exe. I believe the point of it is to hold things like Flash in a basket and if it crashes it won’t affect the whole browser. I might be wrong about that last bit but it isn’t the issue.
The given method to stop this issue is to type “about:config” into the address bar, enter, then search for “ipc” in the list, which produces five Icedragon ( or Firefox if using that ) items to change values from true to false. That’s it. done. People report they no longer see odd high CPU precentages appearing next to a plugin-container.exe

However, it seems in my experience at least, to be pointless. The problem continues.

All that seems to happen now is the problem shifts to the main program. Now when I play Youtube clips I often get massive CPU usage percentage, along with the noisy resultant whine, this time showing against icedragon.exe !

I’m still using XP, in case that makes a difference. I’m about to install 7 Pro.
The processor is half decent even today, being a Core2Duo E6600.

If anyone can suggest anything that will stop this nonsense I’d appreciate it. I’d like to be able to use Flash or other plugins in my browser without putting such a load on my CPU and making such a noise.

Can you see if hardware acceleration is enabled in Flash player?

I have version16.0.0.296 and hardware acceleration is enabled in Flash.

I presumed H.A. is good because it lets components make the video look better, no ?

If I untick the box, what should happen ?

I did try unticking HA but I still experience the high CPU and memory stats showing for icedragon.exe ( used to be plugin-container.exe before I disabled it ). It ramps up during a Youtube clip, though usually not immediately, then calms down when I close it.

What was HA being on or off going to change ?

What else could be causing this ? It seems unusual to me - not new as such but unusual nevertheless - and very annoying.

If H.A. is enabled Flash Player will use less CPU cycles. It’s enabled by default but I wanted to make sure if it wasn’t disabled.

Does the same thing happen when using Firefox with the same settings for resolution of videoclips? When watching clips in720 HD or higher resolution will use a considerable amount of cpu cycles.

I have re-ticked HA into place. It was on when I first moaned about this issue. On or off, there is a problem, it doesn’t seem to make an awful lot of difference.

It happened in Firefox before except at that point I hadn’t researched plugin-container.exe. I actually theorised at the time it was a battle going on between beligerent ads and other bad software, with my Kaspersky and to win the fight Kaspersky was using CPU power. I don’t know if there is anything still in that anyway, it’s just that some sites you go to suddenly the machine wheezes and whines in overdrive - and with Flash clips often.

As for resolution, I typically set highest, especially as I like to watch in full screen. I thought well, since I have a dedicated graphics card fitted I should be able to watch in hi-res all nice and stable.

As for the possibility of malware, well I use Kaspersky Internet Security, which is probably as good as it gets. I have a nearly up to date Malwarebytes which I used the other day and got zero. I am however using good old Windows XP .

Could an out of date Java be an issue here ?

Might Windows 7 Pro help ? I’m about to install that.

I wonder also if a better graphics card might help. After my nvidea 8800GTS broke I have been using an old and modest card, the 7900GS as a stand in. But now I am about to fit a modern era card of great power - the GTX760, which is many, many times more powerful than what is in the machine now.
( b.t.w. processor is the Core2Duo E6600, RAM is 4GB, effectively 2.75 in 32 bit XP )

To see if ads use up a lot cycles try an ad blocker and see if that makes a difference.

As for resolution, I typically set highest, especially as I like to watch in full screen. I thought well, since I have a dedicated graphics card fitted I should be able to watch in hi-res all nice and stable.
Could you try and see how much cpu cycles a clip uses in various resolutions? That may give you an idea how big the influence is.
As for the possibility of malware, well I use Kaspersky Internet Security, which is probably as good as it gets. I have a nearly up to date Malwarebytes which I used the other day and got zero. I am however using good old Windows XP .
To be complete scan with Hitman Pro, Super Antispyware amd gmer anti rookit scanner.
Could an out of date Java be an issue here ?
Not to my knowledge. But I would advice to disable the web content by default and to seriously consider updating Java.
Might Windows 7 Pro help ? I'm about to install that.
Although 7 runs pretty light XP still beats it though.
I wonder also if a better graphics card might help. After my nvidea 8800GTS broke I have been using an old and modest card, the 7900GS as a stand in. But now I am about to fit a modern era card of great power - the GTX760, which is many, many times more powerful than what is in the machine now. ( b.t.w. processor is the Core2Duo E6600, RAM is 4GB, effectively 2.75 in 32 bit XP )
Anybody? This is not my league of expertise.

Hi, sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Cycles :

I don’t know how to see this as a measure and in fact the term is new to me. I had been noticing CPU usage in terms of percentage burden, as shown in Task Managaer under Processes. Against pluggincontainer.exe then when I disabled that, against icedragon.exe , the figure was very high often.

But cycles ? I have no idea.

Resolution

Certainly I notice greater activity and noise when employing higher res. But again, I couldn’t count “cycles” as I don’t know how.

B.t.w the graphics card thing I mentioned, to cut a long story short, the new one I have available is powerful enough to play games up to say 2012 era, at high settings and get smooth play, therefore you could say it is very powerful. Many times the power of what’s temporarily in the system.

Adware blockers /

I have Malware bytes and I run Kaspersky all the time. Actually I thought Kapersky had it’s own anti banner at least but I went to look for an ad blocker in the program but it wasn’t mentioned. I haven’t tried those products you mentioned but I may now.

Something else I notice :

As well as reported high CPU usage and extra noise, I have been noticing, increasingly, stuttering and lag ( manifesting in lip sync issues ) in Youtube clips. No other windows open and an internet speed of 40-something Mbps. So it’s not speed that’s the issue.

Am I not right in saying fundamentally Firefox bowsers “don’t like” Flash and got it to work by employing a workaround ?

Might another browser be a good idea ? Are you sure XP couldn’t be a problem here ? I have 7 to put in whenever I get time.

Did I read something about Comodo switching to a Chrome based browser ? Should Flash and related poroblems largely disappear with that ?

Sorry about that. I should have said percentage. I meant to say to keep an eye on the percentage of CPU power

Resolution

Certainly I notice greater activity and noise when employing higher res. But again, I couldn’t count “cycles” as I don’t know how.

Higher res will use more CPU cycles or to phrase differently it will use a bigger percentage of the CPU capacity. I sometimes see youtube videos maxing out out of four cores on my AMD Phenom II system. What you’re describing is to be expected.

B.t.w the graphics card thing I mentioned, to cut a long story short, the new one I have available is powerful enough to play games up to say 2012 era, at high settings and get smooth play, therefore you could say it is very powerful. Many times the power of what's temporarily in the system.
That's more than enough.
Adware blockers /

I have Malware bytes and I run Kaspersky all the time. Actually I thought Kapersky had it’s own anti banner at least but I went to look for an ad blocker in the program but it wasn’t mentioned. I haven’t tried those products you mentioned but I may now.

Does anybody know if running these two programs cause performance issues?

Something else I notice :

As well as reported high CPU usage and extra noise, I have been noticing, increasingly, stuttering and lag ( manifesting in lip sync issues ) in Youtube clips. No other windows open and an internet speed of 40-something Mbps. So it’s not speed that’s the issue.

Anybody?

On the matter of running multiple blockers and scanners, Kaspersky did warn me not to run multiple programs otherwise performance really dips.
I used to run Spybot S&D but Kaspersky said their program does similar anyway. By all means have SB but don’t run it for real time scanning.
This makes sense to me.

In a general and very non tech way, I might make comment on the very idea that our computers should be strained by showing a video clip. There is something quite ridiculous about it.

Consider our televisions, our bluray players and related domestic devices. They don’t ramp up and go wild like our computers sometimes do. Yet, consider the difference in processing power involved. Modern computer CPU’s are vastly more advanced and powerful than what is needed in a tv, surely. There is Eric saying even his much more advanced CPU works ■■■■■■■ hi def clips. It does seem to me ridiculous that this should be the case. Is it something of Flash being a pig ?
I mean, I don’t know what I’m talking about, but it just seems taking a step back and thinking about it in context, that it is somewhat ridiculous.

I notice my last post got an edit. I don’t recognise anything different in it. What was altered ? Bizarre.

Hello Mog,
I thought I would offer a couple suggestions. I doubt if it will help, but install the latest version of the flash extension which is v16.0.0.305. It might be worth a try.

You should verify if your Flash Player is making use of hardware acceleration. Do you have the hardware acceleration boxes checked for both IceDragon and the Flash Player? If you do, then to check if your Flash Player is making use of hardware acceleration, right-click on a YouTube video playing in the Flash Player (you may have to wait for any ads to finish playing, if you don’t have them blocked), then select ‘Stats for nerds’. If hardware acceleration is being utilized, the display should say accelerated video rendering & accelerated video decoding. The display will also tell you your frames per second and how many dropped frames you are experiencing. Click on Image1 below. This image shows that software video rendering and software video decoding are being utilized instead of hardware acceleration so having a high-powered graphics card would not help out as much in reducing the load on the CPU as it would if hardware acceleration was being used by the Flash player.

You could try disabling ProtectedMode for the Flash player extension. That has helped others but not all that were having a problem like yours. To do that you need to open up the mms.cfg file in Notepad. The default location for that file (in Windows XP 32bit) is C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash. That file may not exist on your system if you haven’t changed the auto-update settings for the flash player plug-in. If that’s the case, open up Notepad and type in ProtectedMode=0, then save the file as mms.cfg to the default location stated above. Refer to image2 below. If this doesn’t help, you should delete the line you added to mms.cfg.

Another thing to try is to switch to using HTML5 videos instead of Flash videos on YouTube.

To switch over to HTML5 videos on YouTube, go to: https://www.youtube.com/html5
Click on the blue box that says ‘Request the HTML5 player’

The blue box will change to a black box. The wording just above this box will change from: ‘The default player is currently used’ to 'The HTML5 player is currently used when possible. You can click on the black box to change back to the default player.

IceDragon should remember that setting unless you delete your YouTube cookies.

If the HTML5 player works better for you than the Flash player, you can install the ‘HTML5 Video Everywhere!’ Add-on.
Get it here: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/html5-video-everywhere/?src=hp-dl-upandcoming
This Add-on provides HTML5 support for many other websites besides YouTube. I will point out that it doesn’t support 1080p or higher. Hopefully the next release of IceDragon will add support for 1080p and higher for HTML5.

To see how well IceDragon supports HTML5 and to compare it against other browsers, go to: https://html5test.com/

gs22

[attachment deleted by admin]

Some useful sounding info here. Thanks very much. Will try later.