- What you did: Booted up my computer normally
- What actually happened or you actually saw: Approximately 7-10 min. after every boot the Windows taskbar pops up, seemingly by itself. I have mine hidden, so I notice it. I opened Task Manager to check for a connection, and sure enough cpf.exe spikes at the exact moment it happens. This makes me think there’s a connection. Also, I just recently reformatted my PC, and this behavior didn’t exist until right after I installed Comodo Firewall and rebooted. And it now happens after every boot, like clockwork. This didn’t happen prior to version 5.
- What you expected to happen or see: I don’t expect to see the taskbar pop up.
- How you tried to fix it & what happened: The only fix I see would be to not have Comodo Firewall on my computer. I can’t see any change in the settings having any effect.
- If its an application compatibility problem have you tried the application fixes?: I thought at first that it was an Avira/Comodo problem, but after the reformat I installed Comodo Firewall before Avira (Avira wasn’t on my computer yet), and the problem happened. So it appears to be just Comodo related. In fact at this point I didn’t have anything else on my computer, just the Windows Updates. So that virtually eliminates the possibility of it being a compatibility conflict.
- Details (exact version) of any application involved with download link: Not applicable.
- Whether you can make the problem happen again, and if so exact steps to make it happen: All I have to do is reboot my computer. It happens every time I do.
- Any other information (eg your guess regarding the cause, with reasons): I honestly have no idea, but cpf.exe seems to be the culprit judging by the simultaneous spike when this occurs.
Files appended. (Please zip unless screenshots).
- Screenshots illustrating the bug: This wouldn’t serve much purpose, as it would simply be a screenshot of the Windows taskbar at the bottom of the screen, and spikes to cpf.exe can happen (as with all processes) randomly, whether one has their taskbar hidden or not.
- Screenshots of related event logs and the active processes list:
- A CIS config report or file.
- Crash or freeze dump file:
- CIS version, AV database version & configuration used: 5.0.162636.1135 (latest), Stealth Ports all/maximum defense w/leak protection, Avira Personal 10 (up to date)
- a) Have you updated (without uninstall) from CIS 3 or 4, if so b) have you tried reinstalling?:
- a) Have you imported a config from a previous version of CIS, if so b) have U tried a preset config?:
- Other major changes to the default config (eg ticked ‘block all unknown requests’, other egs here. )
- Defense+ and Sandbox OR Firewall security level: D+ = Safe Mode, Firewall = Custom Policy Mode, Sandbox = on, treat as Partially Limited, all boxes checked.
- OS version, service pack, no of bits, UAC setting, & account type: XP Pro SP3, 32-bit. Problem occurs in both Administrator & Limited User Accounts.
- Other security and utility software running: None real-time besides Comodo FW & Avira AV.
- Virtual machine used (Please do NOT use Virtual box): None