Hey, where's my loopback zone?

Alright,
I just cleared out my Trusted Zones, shut down CFP, reset my modem, bridged to my new Linksys, manually configured 192.168.1.XX and 192.168.2.XX respectively (don’t worry - this really is a CFP3 question) got back up and running, released/renewed, started CFP3 and it found my Intel Pro/100 network immediately so I did the usual configurations, blah blah blah…

But I just noticed that my Loopback Zone isn’t here this time (was of course there b4 - and I didn’t add it) and was wondering if anyone maybe had an idea as to why?

I would just put one there, but don’t 'member the range… 88)

Thank you very much.
(R)

Local loopback range is 127.0.0.0 - 127.0.0.8

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Hi Comofo,

The default for Loopback Zone is just IP address 127.0.0.1 with subnet 255.0.0.0

Matty

I really like you guys… (:LOV)

thanx for the prompt replies…(btw, I just found an old screenshot from my “trouble-shooting era” and there it was: 127.0.0.0 - 255.0.0.0 - that seems kind of broad though…I mean, why not 0.0.0.0 - 255.255.255.255?

Thanks again,
fo

This one is solved, gentlemen… :■■■■

… er, could someone please explain exactly what is a Loopback Zone, and what is it for?

I’ve got one as well, but really don’t understand what it means.

A simple explanation is; it’s a type of “zone” that enables apps to talk to each other and w/the system within your network - without leaving your Local Area Network (without talking to the internet). Kind of a sub-network that your computer uses to communicate with itself.

I’m kind of guessing here, but think this is the gist of it.

Thanks for your help.

Comofo is really a bit confused about loopback addresses. The loopback address is to refer to your PC. So, it’s like running a wire out and back in to the same computer, but in software. You can use loopback networking between applications (and even for the same app, Firefox for some reason uses loopback to talk to itself on startup) without any network connection at all.

Your LAN will have network addresses just like the Internet. The only real distinguishing feature of a LAN anymore is purely “political”, that is, you own the hardware on it out to some router that then talks to the Internet. The edge router defines the LAN. Oh, and physical to the extent that it’s in a relatively small geographic area, say one or two buildings close together. Larger than that, you would usually just call it a network, though there is the rarely used MAN and WAN terms, I personally don’t see any point in them.

Note to Comofo, no app can talk to another PC using 127.0.0.1 … They’ll need some other IP or MAC address.

“So, it’s like running a wire out and back in to the same computer, but in software.”

Kinda sounds like the same thing to me, buddy. But thank you for the more thorough explanation.

There is actually a little more reason to all this than it might appear. :wink:
The loopback zone is set up to support internal communication that uses the TCP/IP protocol, and thus needs an IP and port to talk to. There are also broadcasts and multicasts to the network, but loopback is used often so that proxies like virus and spyware scanners can interpose themselves transparently in the network flow and do their thing without interference. And to initialize FF and to do a bunch of internal service and process communication within windows and …
Even WANs and LANs have a little more logic. As far as the internet is concerned, it only talks to IPs on the WAN (called routable) that can be addressed by any node on the internet. A LAN uses private addresses (nonroutable) that are only addressable within the context of a particular connected subnetwork. Thus a bunch of computers not on the internet can talk to each other or to a common node that is connected to the internet. The LAN IPs are typically reused at many of the WAN nodes. The WAN nodes are the unique identifiers for internet addresses. A typical question for a home internet setup is “where is my IP address located?”. If you have a NAT router, it is on the WAN side of the router, which then uses NAT (Network Address Translation) and state mapping to translate connections to multiple LAN computers to and from a single WAN data stream that connects to the internet. If you don’t have a router, your internet address may actually be on your computer. In which case CFP gets to see all of the inbound noise connection requests that would normally be blocked by the router, and your log fills up until you add the “block all in and don’t log” rule. Thus you will see a lot of recommendations to go get a router. :slight_smile: