HELP!

Where on Earth did you read about disabling Windows time. Thats probably your problem right there. Check that back off. Never disable that. You should have said something awhile back and this problem would have been fixed.Your bios has nothing to do with Windows. Your bios is your motherboard set up.

1/ Read something on time management in Windows. Set Windows up to use multiple NTP servers which are geographically near to your location. Windows XP NTP configuration from MS KB for details.

BTW, the default time.windows.com server is plain junk and completely unreliable… :-TD

or

2/ Leave Windows time disabled and use the real, reference and open-source implementation instead. :-TU

Relevant NTP links.

P.S. Can some moderator change the subject of this thread to something less ■■■■■■■■?

We are trying to fix a problem. I have never heard of disabling Windows time. If disabling Windows time is causing the problem then enabling might fix it. Using third party software is not necessary.

Windows Time is a (broken) SNTP implementation. Disabling it alone is stupid but there’s nothing wrong with disabling it and replacing it with non-broken, standard NTP alternative.

If the users Window time is broken then I can understand but how do we know its broken unless its enabled.

There’s no need to use Windows Time (or any other synchronization software). The default time that Windows reads from the BIOS is good enough. It might be a few seconds or minutes off, but that’s no big deal.
Unless you really need to have a correct time, you won’t need to have Windows Time enabled. And in that case, you should use an atomic clock to synchronize it…
Disabling Windows Time won’t cause any problem, and definitely not change the time.
I’ve had it disabled for some years, and no problem at all.

Cheers,
Ragwing

See, you don’t understand the problem and/or what I mean…

By default, XP synchronizes with an SNTP server (time.windows.com by default) once in a week. The default server is unreliable, the sync interval is completely unreasonable, the time adjustment is not done in small steps but via a leap. From the moment when the time is synced, the clock will keep drifting for another week, until the next sync. Now, if the HW clock (on the motherboard) goes wrong/is unreliable etc., you can get a huge time drift by the time next synchronization is scheduled. So, this alone (leaving the protocol implementation aside as it would get really long) is a completely wrong concept of keeping time synchronized and correct on any box.

OTOH, the client part of ntpd daemon works via adjusting the time in very small increments, so there won’t be any huge jumps in system clock. It basically slews the clock so that the time is effectively continuous (and never
runs backwards). See the documentation for details.

Hope it’s more clear now. :wink:

The above information is completely incorrect, as explained in my post above. Beyond that, the very existence of this thread proves that broken system clock/time can cause serious and annoying problems. May I suggest that you read the original post first?

heyy guyz
i never said that i disabled windows time. i said i read somewhere. anyway, my current internet time is set to time-new.nist.gov and automatically synchronization is checked. is this internet time server fine for me as i m from india. actually my bro has sent this laptop from usa, so is there a need to change the internet time server?? can this be the problem??

As explained above, Windows syncs your time once per week by default (which apparently isn’t enough for your box). You can either change that via regedit (see SpecialPollInterval) or use a different solution such as openntp.

I have read the whole topic. The first post is only about the time changing for no reason at all, not that disabling Windows Time is related with it.
And yes, this thread proves that the system clock can get messed up, but it doesn’t prove that having Windows Time disabled causes the problem.
As my writings are incorrect, can you please be nice and explain how and why Windows, without any reason at all, would change the time? When Windows Time is disabled, it can’t even retrieve an incorrect time.

I don’t see how it can be stupid to disable Windows Time. Like I wrote above, I’ve had it disabled for years, and my time has never been off for more than one or two minutes. To me, it doesn’t really matter if Windows thinks it’s 5:30 pm, 23 July 2008, 1:30 PM, 1 August 1996 or 9:10 AM, 1 January 2049.
Sure, it’s nice to not have to go away from the PC just to check what time it is, but my PC doesn’t need the time to be correct to work like normal. Neither do I.
Any ways, the time won’t be more than a few minutes off, so I don’t see the big deal in disabling it.

Naren, I see that the BIOS is from 2006, so the CMOS battery shouldn’t be much older. According to Wikipedia, the CMOS battery lasts for 2-10 years, so it might be the problem, like mentioned before.
You should try changing it. A new one won’t cost you more than a maximum of $40. You should be able to get one for around $20.
You can buy it in a computer store, if there’s on close to where you live. Else, it works fine to buy on the Internet, but you’ll have to pay a bit more for the transport.

Cheers,
Ragwing

P.S. The discussion about Windows Time is a bit off topic, so we should start a new topic, or discuss it through the PM-system.

Please, do some basic research on how system clock works in operating systems… Until then, no point in debating this further.

Back to the original question here - you either

• have a broken RTC on your motherboard
  • or your CMOS battery is dying/dead
  • or your BIOS is buggy
  • or you have some kind of virus/malware problem. (On Linux, particular versions of kernel had a nasty bug with AMD64 CPUs and insane clock skew, but I kinda doubt you’ve changed your Windows kernel :P)

P.S. $40 for a CMOS battery? Geez, don’t enter that shop ever again. Should cost like $3 max. everywhere.

after setting the time and date again its fine from 2-3 days. if its changes again then no other options left, will change the cmos battery and see

thanxx guyz

naren

Windows reads the time from BIOS. Windows works fine with a clock that’s a few minutes off. That’s all I need to know.
Now, could you please tell me what’s ‘stupid’ by not synchronising your clock? It’s okay to PM me an answer…

And as an answer to this…

The answer’s no, as I don’t find the title to be ‘■■■■■■■■’.
I’ve only changed topic title around one time, and that was because the title contained offensive language.
I would however change it if it was named ‘BOClean is not working’, as that would be totally unrelated.

Cheers,
Ragwing

Yeah, Windows works fine with a clock that “a few minutes off”. Your online banking might not. Your antivirus updates might not. Tons of other applications might not. Clearly this users’ computer does not and the clock skew messes up with his AV licensing.

A title like HELP!!111!!! is by all means ■■■■■■■■ - it’s a totally nondescriptive rude shouting without any information about the problem, useless for search and any other purpose. May I suggestHow To Ask Questions The Smart Way. :wink:

I don’t use online banking nor an antivirus.

It’s because the time is months or even years off, not minutes. If the license is a one-year, it won’t matter if you’re clock is a few minutes off, but if you change the year, the license will be expired.

This forum is meant for all people that use (or not use) the software and services offered by Comodo.
As some people that need help doesn’t know too much about PC, we don’t expect them to use a very descriptive title.
There’s a lot of nice and helpful people on the forums, that’ll help, no matter if the topic title is ‘■■■■■■■■’ or not.

Any ways, this is off topic, so therefore, I won’t respond to anything more in this topic. If you should wish to continue the discussion, send me a PM. If not, end of discussion.

Cheers,
Ragwing