Help with wireless [Resolved]

Hi everyone,

Been a user of Comodo firewall for quite a while now, and have never really had a problem with it until now (great program by the way). I recently started using wireless as a result of visiting a friend at her university, and have experienced limited connectivity due to Comodo blocking certain incoming connections (I believe I’m using the right terminology here). For certain websites, such as yahoo, Comodo blocks them and I’m unable to access them. For others, like nba.com, I’m able to access them without difficulty. When I disable the firewall, this does not occur, and I can use the internet as normal. What is weird to me is that when I’m at home with my own university’s internet (at home I plug in, and don’t bother with wireless) I have no problems. Now, I tried to define a trusted zone for my wireless (I used the wizard for this) as I think was done with my regular lan, but it doesn’t do anything. Can anyone help me out? I do hope I’m not asking an obvious question, and I’ve tried to read up on the forums for a solution to my problem, but all that I’ve read has not helped. Thanks!

Welcome, yejay613 (:WAV)

A few things…

1. Have you been thru pandlouk’s post about WiFi? https://forums.comodo.com/index.php/topic,361.0.html
  2. If Comodo is blocking something, it should be in the logs (Activity/Logs); when you are stopped from connecting, check the logs for relevant entries. You can Export to HTML, then copy/paste into your post here for us to look at (mask your personal IP with “x” if you like)
  3. A full-screen screenshot of your Network Monitor rules would likely be helpful as well; you can attach it to your post under Additional Options.

LM

Hi Little Mac,

1. Yes, actually that was the first post I looked through. I’m using the university wireless, so I tried to do as he said and set up a trusted zone but to no avail.
  2. Here’s the log of what happens when I try to connect to yahoo’s website.

Date/Time :2007-03-13 21:12:48
Severity :High
Reporter :Network Monitor
Description: Blocked by Protocol Analysis (Fragmented IP Packet)
Direction: IP Incoming
Source: 69.147.114.210
Destination: 128.84.63.103
Protocol : TCP
Reason: Fragmented IP packets are not allowed

and also this

Date/Time :2007-03-13 21:12:33
Severity :High
Reporter :Network Monitor
Description: Blocked by Protocol Analysis (Fragmented IP Packet)
Direction: IP Incoming
Source: 206.253.208.222
Destination: 128.84.63.103
Protocol : TCP
Reason: Fragmented IP packets are not allowed

1. See attached for my network rules. Note that RedRover Wireless is the name I assigned the Cornell’s wireless (this is the university wireless I’m trying to get to work with Comodo)

I must admit, I run Comodo without actually fully understanding what it does and try to use default settings as much as possible. I only know that it helps to protect me from all the bad things floating around on the internet :slight_smile:

[attachment deleted by admin]

A question for you, regarding the Zone you’ve created, for use at Cornell…

When you’re using the wireless network there, are you only using it for your internet connection?

Or are you interacting with it, to share files, access a printer, etc?

Well that’s two questions, but anyway…

Then, for the Yahoo issue… it’s being blocked because of incoming fragmented packets, which are not (as the entry says) allowed. Under normal circumstances, fragmented packets are not considered a good thing, and if you get any, you don’t want them. If I remember correctly what I’ve read about such things, they should be reconstructed by the router/server that they pass thru. That being the case, I guess it’s possible that Cornell’s system isn’t doing that, or is somehow causing the fragmentation. Not sure on that; it’s outside my proverbial “pay grade.” :wink:

Obviously, you want connect to Yahoo, so when you’re going there, you can do the following:
Go to Security/Advanced/Advanced Attack Detection/Miscellaneous. Uncheck the box, “Do Protocol Analysis.” OK. A reboot would probably be in order, to make sure the change is set.

When you return home, I’d turn it back on, as it does add additional security.

LM

PS: I’m not sure about your need for a Trusted Network when roaming; thus, my first two questions…

Yes the wireless is only for internet connection while I’m here. Does that mean I don’t need to create a trusted zone for it? The trusted zone was something I did after reading through pandlouk’s post in the hopes it would solve my internet inconsistencies. It didn’t do much, however, which is why I’m here posting :slight_smile: If however, the fault is on Cornell’s side, then there’s not much to do but tsk and be glad I’m not a student here, lest I not be able to use Comodo!

I’ll give the settings you gave a shot, and report back later how it’s working. Thanks for all your help so far Little Mac!

Yeah, if you’re not doing anything “with” the network resources while you’re there, I don’t see the need to allow every computer on that network to be able to pass data thru your machine. But that’s just me… ;D Normally the trusted network is only used at home or at work, where you are accessing network resources (drives, files, printers, internet connection, etc). This allows the systems to have unimpeded intra-communication; basically, unrestricted access. If you don’t need that, then you don’t need to set it up as such.

That being the case, you can remove those two network rules, and reboot. The default Network rules will allow the computer to be assigned an IP address and establish connectivity with the WiFi, except only perhaps in some rare circumstances. If that occurs, you may need to create a trusted network just to the necessary DNS/DHCP servers, the Gateway, etc, which we can walk you thru if needed.

Do let us know how everything works out.

LM

Unchecking the protocol analysis did the trick, Little Mac. So far, everything seems to be working normally now, with no blocked websites. Thanks so much for your patience in explaining everything to me, much appreciated :■■■■

Great, I’m glad to hear it, and glad I could help.

I’ll go ahead and mark this one Resolved for other users’ benefit, and close the topic. If you have other issues with this WiFi, just PM me or another Mod and we’ll reopen the topic.

This might be if: You start having the same problem again. Removing the “trusted network” rules causes a loss of connectivity. Something else entirely. :wink:

LM

PS: Just by way of reminder… since the protocol analysis is only an issue on the WiFi, remember to turn it back on at home for the full measure of security it helps provide.