Help! No web or email at all!

I have been trying to install Comodo after Kerio crashed my machine 15 times in succession…

However with the firewall installed I cannot access any web pages or access my email server. I’m using ‘Livebox’ broadband (French system) with another computer. Comodo appears to recognise the private network, but I don’t get access. I’ve put both Thunderbird and Firefox down as trusted programs but this also hasn’t helped.

Anyone got any ideas? I chose Comodo as I’ve been told it’s the most stable of the free firewalls, but basically, if I want to protect myself by having no net access at all, I might as well just rip the phone plug out of the wall and save $40 a month :slight_smile:

Are you sure you completely uninstalled Kerio? Can you access the web interface of your Livebox?

Can you show or tell us the policy set for System and svchost (when in the list)? Go to Firewall → Advanced → Network Security Policy --. Application rules and see.

Uninstalling Kerio was a trial - I ended up having to delete all the files then run CCleaner to get rid of the rest.

Since my PC is not the ‘lead’ PC on livebox I can’t seem to access anything. Livebox’s own software is highly intrusive (including replacing all my language and currency settings) so I don’t have it installed - up till now I have been able to connect without it by using the network settings in XP. (By the way it appears Comodo reconfigured these when installed, as the settings were missing and I had to replace them. However, even then I didn’t get internet access till I had removed Comodo.)

Sorry not to be much help - I have had to uninstall Comodo in order to get on to this forum, so I can’t tell you what policies it was using. When it first connected, it asked me about svchost, and I told it to allow svchost to access the internet, (I think as a trusted application?) but I still could not get access.

VERY mysteriously, I managed to get access to the Guardian front page, without the stylesheet, but not to any other sites. What on earth was going on there? Might have been in the cache I suppose, but none of the other tabs showed anything.

I hope you have Windows firewall running when going on the web (it;s still better than no firewall of course). Also disable that Livebox software on your computer. My ISP offers something that may be similar that I don’t use. I trust my knowledge and experience enough rather than software that supposedly keeps an eye on my network configuration.

Ccleaner is a nice tool but doesn’t do a very thorough job with regards to the registry. To be sure try Comodo System Cleaner that is much more thorough: https://forums.comodo.com/comodo_system_cleaner_fileregistryprivacy_cleaner/comodo_system_cleaner_116371227_released-t34138.0.html .

To be sure no more Kerio or CIS registry start keys are present download Autoruns: Autoruns for Windows - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn . Set it to hide Microsoft entries. See if you can find any references to Kerio or CIS and untick the entries (don’t delete yet). Be careful with this tool; messing with Microsoft entries can make you system go weird.

Then make sure all Comodo folders are erased. Look under Program Files, Program Files\Common Files , and under documents and settings (XP) or users (Vista).

Now you should be good to go to give another go with CIS.

Keep us posted.

Thanks for the advice on completing a thorough uninstall. I’ll do that and see what happens next. By the way, should I put Comodo straight into training mode if I know the PC is clean?

I am using Windows firewall FWIW, but I don’t really trust it :slight_smile:

I would suggest Safe Mode over Training mode.

Personally I have my security tighter.

Good luck and keep us posted.

There were two Kerio tags left which I killed. After this it seems to be working.

I can’t see svchost, but the settings for system are:
allow system to send requests if the target is in LAN,
allow system to receive requests if the target is in LAN,
allow IP out frmo IP to any IP where protocol is any.
Is that right?

Thanks for helping.

What lacks in System is a block rule at the bottom: : Block and log all unmatching requests".

Easiest way to go is using the Stealth Ports Wizard. First Stealth your network by selecting “Block all incoming connections stealth my ports to everyone” → Finish. Now start the Stealth Ports Wizard again → Select “Define a new trusted network and stealth my ports to EVERYONE else” → Next → “I would like to trust an existing My Network Zone” → choose your LAN at the drop down menu “Zone name” at the bottom of the list → Finish.