Help me with a friend's laptop? CFP not working properly.

It’s an odd one but it happens with Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit right out of the box, driver updates and all. CFP will on 75% of startups report that the firewall is not running. D+ events will be triggered but not firewall events. On some startups the firewall component works and it DOES trigger access popups. Other times it simply doesn’t do a thing. Tried a fresh Vista install, same result. I have disabled the Windows Firewall service but it’s not helping. She asked me to install the basics on her lappy and I really wanted CFP to be one of them.

The laptop is a Toshiba L40. It has a wireless adapter and an ethernet connector. The ethernet uses the usesrtnicxp.sys version 6.106.1113.2007 (built by WinDDK) driver and the wireless uses the rtl8187b.sys driver version 6.106.1226.2007 (built by WinDDK) driver. Their respective names in device manager arwe “Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC” and “Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter”. Perhaps if you could look into compatibility issues with said drivers/cards? Thank you.