HDD Failure and dead internet connection

Hi,

I have (had!) Comodo firewall installed on my primary slave HDD (i.e. not the one I boot Windows XP from) and the HDD has failed. Due to this obviously Comodo is not starting but my Internet Connection (which I can’t delete and recreate) is not working. I’m guessing the surrounding configuration is still in place and restricting my access. When I look at the Windows security advisor it still thinks the “Firewall” is on and is Comodo.

Any ideas how I can get round this? Is it just a matter of installing Comodo again on my Primary HDD, editing the registry (or soemthing else) or am I going to have to reinstall windows?!

Cheers,

Derek.

Hey Derek,

Interesting problem!

I’d try re-installing the firewall, using the default locations as suggested during the setup. This SHOULD rectify the problem and correct the Windows Security Centre issues.

Let us know whether this does actually work.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

“Interesting” is one way of summing it up! That’s the last time I install critical software somewhere other than my primary master!

I’ve downloaded a new setup.exe (I’m at work) and the key’s coming to my work email. If I stick this on a CD can you confirm I should be OK to install this on my home PC (with no connectivity)? I’m a bit worried there’s some install step that requires a connection to be alive!

Cheers,

Derek.

Hey Derek,

100% OK to install from CD. The setup does not require an internet connection to complete, but you will need to re-establish the internet connection to activate it. Actually, since you activated the previous installation, you probably won’t even have to activate again.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Cheers,

Thanks for the help!

I lost my previous setup image as it was on the failed HDD (I downloaded a new one) but should have my activation key from before - should I use that key or the new one that I’ve just received? Does it make any difference?

Cheers,

Won’t make a difference, if you need it at all. I’m pretty sure that the activation code and details are stored on the registry which is on your “live” drive.

Cheers,