Have any of you guys tried out "palemoon" (firefox varient)

I’m trying out a firefox varient and liking it, (with adblock plus, betterprivacy, fasterfox, noscript)

http://www.palemoon.org/ <----open-source

It’s basicly a more efficient version of firefox

Just an idea :slight_smile:

Yeah, works fine here for a couple of months. :slight_smile:

downloading now looks very nice will add more

it was pretty good but i uninstalled it and when i did i accidentally unistalled all my ff addons but i using chrome anyway

The latest version (3.6.6) has its own location for its profile now and doesn’t share with FF.
There’s a utility on PM’s site for importing the settings.

I deleted the profile of PM by installing FF4 then uninstalling it and that set me back to zero, so the opposite way round!

Tried it–didn’t like it. reasons below:

1. Mouse scroll wheel does not work. I use HP mouse drivers which only seem to be compatible with IE.
  2. Unable to organize bookmarks easily like in IE. Does not sort bookmark folders to the top automatically like IE does
  3. Does not integrate with Ccleaner
  4. Can’t block cookies and choose which to allow. It works the opposite by allowing all and letting you choose which sites to block. This is backwards imo.
  5. Can’t choose cookies to keep when deleting-also see #3

These are mostly all the same reasons why I won’t use FF.

There’s only IE8 or FF.
Chrome needs to be so more configurable and Opera is so very buggy (yes,yes).

I’ll give a try to this Palemoon, but I doubt it moves me from FF.

I'll give a try to this Palemoon, but I doubt it moves me from FF.
It's not really for everyone, I wish it was on beta vesion 4 :'(

I got palemoon(the regular one), protable firefox beta version 4 (for my USB stick), and Comodo dragon (I can only use it on a rare occasion)

I’m thinking about getting rid of 1 of them. I really don’t need three of them. I gotta keep the portable fox. I’m leaning toward keeping the dragon, but still not sure

Since yesterday I’ve dumped Firefox. Me likes Palemoon. :smiley:

Concerning FF:

1. Mouse scroll wheel does not work. I use HP mouse drivers which only seem to be compatible with IE.

Are you sure you need a driver? My Dell 3 button mouse scrolls without any driver.

4. Can't block cookies and choose which to allow. It works the opposite by allowing all and letting you choose which sites to block. This is backwards imo.

Definitely not true.
The appropriate setting blocks by default all cookies and asks you what to do with each new one (not even speaking of cookies aimed addons).

Yes the mouse will work without a driver but it is a 5 button mouse and needs the HP drivers for the functions of the other 2 buttons. I also use the scroll wheel as a double click when I press on it and have gotten used to that. The drivers are funky since the scroll wheel will not work in a lot of things if they are installed. Browsers other than IE and games like WoW and others are some examples. It won’t even scroll in the add/remove programs list (but does work in the same list in Ccleaner) but when it doesn’t work, the scroll of the touchpad usually does. Not in games though.

That was what I found in looking at the settings in palemoon. I could only choose to allow cookies and then block certain sites or block everything. Maybe I didn’t play with it enough but the other things I cited were enough to put me off anyway. What I do now is block all cookies in IE but allow them for certain sites. It’s very easy to do. I then manage which cookies I want to keep and which to delete in CCleaner. Palemoon did not show up in CCleaner at all. I didn’t want to mess with any addons since I didn’t like the browser anyway just like I don’t like FF. It did seem to be very fast though, I’ll give it that much.

CCcleaner does have an option for Firefox cookies, but of course not for Palemon.

I don’t see the usefullness of a cookies deleting policy: if one only allows the ones he can’t live with, there’s no need to delete any, excepting if you don’t use anymore the relative sites or softwares, and you have then so few that it is only, from inside FF, a matter of a few seconds.

I need the deleting policy because if you allow cookies from a particular site, you get all of them that the site delivers. The only one I might be interested in keeping is the login cookie, the others get deleted. Another thing is that some sites don’t even work correctly without cookies enabled for them and I might not want to keep any of them afterwards. The pizza delivery sites like Dominos and Papa John’s come to mind. Forum sites are another example that need cookies. Very many if not all sites have their tracking cookies which I have no desire to have around more than necessary. I just find the cookie management of IE to be far better and easier to use and coupled with CCleaner, I can keep my cookies down to about a dozen.

I need the deleting policy because if you allow cookies from a particular site, you get all of them that the site delivers.

No you don’t.
At least not with Firefox.

When running CCleaner it deletes PaleMoon’s cookies.
There’s also options with Sandboxie http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13175

I’m liking this browser.