Have an option to perform a clean install during updates or installation [M1000]

1. What version of CIS, or Comodo Firewall, are you currently using:
CIS V7.0.315459.4132

2. What actually happened or you saw:
Currently every time you run the installer over the previous version it tries to upgrade it without losing any settings. This can cause unintended problems for some systems. Not all versions mix’n’match incredibly well, especially with major upgrades.

3. What you wanted to happen or see:
The following option when updating or running a CIS installer when CIS is already present on the system.
‘Perform clean installation’ checkbox.
Note: This action removes all personal customization and configuration, returning CIS to its default state.

4. Why you think it is desirable:
To remove the need to uninstall when a clean installation is the preferred choice. The installer could also help reset the program back to defaults, which could help some users when they have totally messed up configurations.
Could help if corruption has occurred during installation, simply re-run the installer and select the clean install option.

5. Any other information:
Could improve installation reliability and be a time saver when things have gone astray with the current installation or when updates are available.

Can you please give some examples of the problems which users currently face because this option is not available?

Thanks.

More of an installation enhancement than a problem solver, although it could very well help solve some issues as well.
It would save unnecessary time uninstalling existing versions manually.

When running an installer without first removing already existing versions.
Issues can arise from trying to install some versions over the top of existing versions.
Not all versions mix’n’match incredibly well, especially with major upgrades.
The installer could also help reset the program back to defaults, which could help some users when they have totally messed up configurations.
Could help if corruption has occurred during installation, simply re-run the installer and select the clean install option.

When updating.
When updating some users prefer to start with a clean slate, this can sometimes help with program reliability.
It could also help for those who would like to start off with the programs defaults after an update.

I guess the bottom line is, IMO it could be a time saver when things have gone astray with the current installation or when updates are available.

Thank you. Do you think it would also make sense to add an optional addition to this clean install option. This could remove everything it could, restart the computer, automatically run the Geekbuddy removal script, and then restart again. This could be optional, but would largely make my reinstall topic useless.

What do you think?

Thanks.

this would be great an automated clean up tool

Thanks Chiron,
I am not against your idea as long as it doesn’t make the process more complicated for new users to understand.
As you said “optional”.
My original idea was in the hope that in the future the programs own uninstaller will do a more thorough job than what it does at present.
With that being said, I do think the more recent versions of the programs own uninstaller has been improving with each version.

Thanks.

Thank you. Perhaps you are right. This may be more suitable for a separate wish.

I have updated the first post, and added a poll. Please look them over and let me know if everything seems fine. If it does then I will forward this to the Waiting Area for voting.

Thanks.

Thank you, it all looks fine to me. :-TU

Thank you for submitting this Wish Request. I have now reset the poll and moved this to the WAITING AREA.

Please be sure to vote for your own wish, and for any other wishes you also support. It is also worthwhile to vote against wishes you think would be a waste of resources, as implementing those may slow down the wishes you would really like to see added.

Thanks again.

Thanks Chiron, I have voted. :-TU

Maybe.

I see that it can be a good idea, but I wonder if “reset to defaults” button somewhere in advanced settings would suffice? Since users don’t always have problems after major version update.

Maniak2000, I like that idea. However, that would be a separate wish. If you like, you can create a new Wish Request topic for it.

Thanks.

I think it’s much better

I like both ideas, I can see both could have individual roles. :-TU

I would like to thank everyone who has voted on this particular enhancement. As it is not possible for the future votes to exceed the limit of 5 neutral or negative, I have added this to the tracker for consideration by the devs. However, do note that even though this wish will be considered by the devs, it does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented. I will update this topic when I have any additional information.

Thank you.