Hard Drive issues with CIS

I don’t know why but over time the AV will cause more “stress” to my hard drive then any other AV I have used. It is really fast I will give you that but maybe it is too fast.

I’m just curious why you feel that over time CIS will cause more stress than any other AV you have used. What are you basing this statement on?

I ask because CIS appears to be scanning exactly like any other AV scanner I’ve used. This is simply from a users standpoint. No test or measurements. What is different about CIS? Have you taken measurements?

No I can’t say I have but because it is so quick the hard drive has the work harder now hard drives don’t like hard work. Other people have said the same thing but for the life of me I can’t find them in the forum.

The harddrive cannot read any faster than it normally does and is designed to do. If your drive reads 300MBS then that is the speed it will read at. No faster.

Your right but I swear other people where saying the same thing I am I am not crazy! (Hopefully!) :stuck_out_tongue:

What you (and apparently others) have perceived as excessive stress is the drive head rapidly moving from the file table to the actual file contents (to scan the file) and moving back to the file table to read the next file location. Due to its efficiency in locating, reading and scanning each file, each file operation is performed at a very, very high rate - higher than just about any other AV I’ve seen.

It’s not working harder, just faster.

Whether this is better or worse (long term) for the drive is open to conjecture. If it scans slowly, the drive is not performing as fast but is operating for longer periods at a slower rate. If it scans fast, the drive is working faster but for a shorter period of time.

Regardless, as perviously stated, the drive cannot operate faster than its stated maximum transfer rate - this is a hardware limitation and simply cannot be exceeded.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

Me and a few friends that uses CIS 3.8… - we noticed that CIS AV, when the system is idle, aparently uses hdd more intense that other AV. In some cases in idle, AV scan like i performed a manual scan of hdd, but only until i move the mouse or press any key on the keyboard. And we presume that AV causes tis intense hdd activity , because, if i disable de AV, never see any intense activity of hdd when system is IDLE…