Hacker penetration / Stealthing ports

Does “Block all incoming connections - stealth my ports to everyone” fully secure one’s computer?

I now use this regularly, but while I was working not long ago, my desktop display rotated to 270 degrees (there is a hacker with whom I am not on friendly terms). I have a Linksys wireless router.

Last night, I attempted to download mail with Windows Live Mail (Windows 7) – and received a message that I was receiving a message, but the message indicated no progress and remained on the screen for a period of more than 60 seconds (at which point I shut down the program). I tried perhaps three times to retrieve the message. This morning, when I attempted to retrieve mail, Windows Live Mail would not start, nor would other programs, and I had to reboot my computer. Shortly thereafter, I received an email with the following text (there is no johnrearden.com mailing service):

"Dear user of the johnreardencom mailing service!

We are informing you that because of the security upgrade of the mailing service your mailbox (john@johnrearden.com) settings were changed. In order to apply the new set of settings click on the following link:

http://johnrearden.com/owa/service_directory/settings.php?email=john@johnrearden.com&from=johnrearden.com&fromname=john

Best regards, johnrearden.com Technical Support."

The actual target link was something else.

Needless to say, I did not click on the link. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi organon,

Well it depends, if your system “would be infected” with a trojan/backdoor blocking only incoming traffic will not help enough. If it can connect to a control server it can also “receive” controls over that connection, so it’s important to check your application rules also for “strange” applications.

One other thing could be that he/she is using the so called “Man in the Middle” attack by letting your pc believe that his system is the default gateway to the rest of the network, in which case it would become possible to “read” all non encrypted traffic (browse, read mail, send mail etc)…

Not clicking the link in the mail was the right thing to do, it’s so obvious (for those that recognize them :wink: that this is a phishing attack. Can you send me the real link in a PM message ?

Please make sure your wireless settings use the best security settings it provides WPA2 AES (no TKIP).
Setup a MAC filter, change your KEY to some large auto generated password. Change the admin password of the box. (Configure it wired and disable wireless management).

G’day,

There is definitely something screwy here. The contact link on your site opens an email window with a default address of “email[at]jr.music[at]tiscali.co.uk”. This obviously won’t work and could be the result of either A) manual misconfiguration of link (your bad) or B) malicious editing of your server (someone else’s bad).

I would re-upload your web site pages from a known good working copy.

There is actually a johnreardon.com mailing service - this is the email server running on your domain. This message may have come from your hosting provider. I would double check with them first. This will either A) explain things satisfactorily or B) alert them to a possible security breach. Either way, you’ll be doing yourself and themself (??) a favour.

Re. your screen rotating 270 degrees - this can be done by a combination of (if I remember correctly) ALT-LEFT ARROW, depending upon your hardware configuration.

Cheers,
Ewen :slight_smile:

P.S. How come no Gretsch or Rickenbackers? :wink:

Ronny,
I´ve got one of those too, if you want the link to see what malware you get. I have no use for it, this is a new scam that seem to be going around.

Hi Ewen,

Are you looking at johnreardon.com? My own domain ends with -en. No worries.

• John

DOH!!

Mea culpa!