GUI Tweak: Clearer Status in Main Window

Problem: It is not immediately clear what is running and what isn’t.

Solution: Color Coding & Detailed Status Messages (Pictures Attached)

Color: Red | Message: All components are disabled!

Color: Orange-Yellow | Message: Some components are disabled!

Color: Blue | Message: (Training Mode On)

Color: Default-White | Message: All systems are active and running.

Solution Notes:

• System Status recommends enabling those components that are disabled.
  • The status bar shows more information as well.
  • The colors above noted go in the System Status section of the main UI.
  • The big check mark gets colored accordingly.
  • The component’s respective section gets colored accordingly.
  • When nothing is disabled, and training mode is off, the UI has a flat white background with default text colors.
    + I’m not too happy with the shades of colors I used.

Disclaimer: The layout is CMH’s, not mine.

EDIT:

This idea by itself is somewhat problematic. However, in conjunction with this wish or this wish, it could be much more effective.

All-in-all I think the shading may be a bit much if there are clear, yet unobtrusive, icons doing the job.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Thanks for that , Glifford. Looks great to me. :-TU

+1

I made some minor tweaks that may be considered:

[ol]- When the summary status says that something is disabled, it shows a yellow exclamation point rather than a check mark (the check mark should be reserved for when everything is activated).

• If a component is disabled, a red line (or perhaps an “x”) can be drawn through its icon. This seems to draw more attention to the disabled component. [/ol]

Whoop

[attachment deleted by admin]

Haha. A yellow check. What was I thinking? :stuck_out_tongue:

Now, I suspect, the jokes on you. LOL

15 all - Gliff to serve!

Against this because… if sandbox and/or av was disabled by user then what’s the point to alert user that it is not running by giving orange-yellow.
Current green “all systems are active and running” is perfect: if green – CIS is operating normally… and there is no need to go through text to find out “why orange?!”

I think you may be missing an important aspect of Glifford’s idea: CIS will give a green check only if all of the installed components are active and running. If you did not install the antivirus, then it will not warn you about it.

Since the sandbox is part of defense+, you can simply add an option to “alert me when sandbox is disabled”. If you have this option selected, then you will get a warning when the sandbox is shut off. If you have this option unselected, then no warning.

I think that you guys lost focus on what the summary screen is meant to be. It should be concise, that’s all. It should show a state of CIS components, but it shouldn’t nag a user which one he/she should switch on. Simple usage scenario. I install the whole CIS, but I disable Sandbox because I don’t like it. I also disable Antivirus 'cos I want to use it as on demand scanner or I have other software vendor’s antivirus installed as real time scanner and I want to keep CAV to scan PC in Windows Safe Mode or whatever. In the latest design, summary screen is ‘screaming’ to enable those components which I have disabled on purpose. IMHO the change of font color from blue to red when the component is disabled is a good idea and was mentioned many times. Definitely should be implemented. I don’t mind the idea of highlighting the top area of the panels, although I don’t find it necessary. The rest of the reminders/warnings is just too much. Much better approach is to add ‘Automated Configuration Helper’ by glifford’s design instead of putting as many warnings as you can fit into summary screen.

I offered a solution to this issue in my previous post (not sure if you saw it).

I think the summary screen can serve many purposes, including alerting the user that a security feature is disabled. They can allow the user to enable/disable the alerts (like the windows security center control panel). This way, users who want the alerts can have them, and users who do not want them can turn them off.

I agree that the summary screen should be concise and not cluttered. It will be more informative if it does not distract the user with too many icons, submenus, colors, etc. Maximize functionality without visual overload.

I’m agree with fOrTy_7 to some extent. The shading is rather in-your-face.

If so, then yes, i missed that and now recall previous “complaint”.