1. The full product and its version:
COMODO Internet Security 220.127.116.1174 BETA
2. Your Operating System (32 or 64 bit) and ServicePack revision. and if using a virtual machine, which one:
Windows 8.1 64 bit (Not a Virtual Machine)
3. List all the configuration changes you did. Are you using Default configuration? If no, whats the difference?:
4. Did you install over a previous version without uninstalling first, or import a previous configuration file?:
5. Other Security, Sandboxing or Utility Software Installed:
6. Step by step description to reproduce the issue. Or if you cannot reproduce it, what you actually did before it happened, step by step:
Launch Google Chrome from the widget OR right-click on ‘Google Chrome’ and select “Run in Comodo Sandbox” OR run ‘Google Chrome’ from ‘Virtual Desktop’.
Wait a few seconds and you will notice that ‘Google Chrome’ does not show up.
Open the main interface window and select ‘Tasks’ > Select ‘Sandbox Tasks’ tab > ‘Reset Sandbox’. Choose to ‘Erase Changes’.
You will notice that resetting is unsuccessful. Try to virtualize another application and you will notice that it does not. Apparently, this is a side-effect issue.
7. What actually happened when you carried out these steps:
Version 8 is unable to sandbox ‘Google Chrome’ and also unable to sandbox afterwards any other application.
8. What you expected to see or happen when you carried out these steps, and why (if not obvious):
‘Google Chrome’ 64-bit should run successfully in the Sandbox.
9. Any other information:
Tested with ‘Google Chrome Version 41.0.2272.89 m (64-bit)’.
I have an Intel HD 3000 graphics driver. NVIDIA graphics drivers are not present on my system.
I am able to replicate mentioned issue with version <18.104.22.16826> as well. I am not experiencing this issue with version 7.
Do you have NVIDIA graphics driver installed on your system as well? This is quite common if you’re using a laptop configuration as pointed out by [at]christarzan.
You can easily check that by going to : run > msinfo32 > “Components” section > “Display”.
In other words, you are experiencing this issue with version 8 only?
I am on a laptop, I only have 1 graphics driver, and I said both version 8.1 and 8.2 beta have this issue. Have you tried to reproduce this issue by downloading Google Chrome for 64 bit systems and seeing if it will run in the Sandbox?
I can reproduce the issue with unusual results.
Win 8.1 64-Bit
Right click Google Chrome 64-Bit and select ‘Run in Comodo Sandbox’ and nothing appears on the screen, however the Google Chrome.exe becomes active in Windows Task Manager.
Now right click Comodo Dragon 32-Bit and select ‘Run in Comodo Sandbox’ and Dragon opens as expected, but now Chrome 64-Bit also automatically opens as well.
It seems as if the 32-Bit Chromium based browser helps trigger the the GUI of the sandboxed 64-Bit Chrome. :o
Thank you very much for your report in standard format, with all information supplied. The care you have taken is much appreciated by Comodo, and will increase the likelihood that this bug can be fixed.
Developers may or may not communicate with you in the forum or by PM/IM, depending on time availability and need. Because you have supplied complete information they may be able to replicate and fix the bug without doing so.