Goodby and Farewell to Version 3 for now

I think I have given Version 3, including the latest patch, a fair run but it still has a few user unfriendly issues that make it impossible for me to continue with. I have rolled back to Version 2.4 for the following reasons:

Firstly, Version 3 takes way too long to start up; in fact several minutes longer than version 2.4 on the two laptops that I use both of which run Win XP SP2. One of my computers is set up for several users and the slow CPF start up not only affects initial system boots but subsequent user logons and switching as well. Both computers are virtually unusable while version 3 is starting up due to the massive amount of hard disk activity and/or system resources involved in the process. I’ve copped enough abuse from the other user account owners about this already and I’m not taking any more. I notice this problem has featured in quite a few previous forum posts.

Secondly, the Defense+ learning process is much too intrusive on the ordinary use the computers and requires a lot of monitoring and maintenance. Before uninstalling version 3 I had already disabled Defense+ for the reason that the extra level of protection was not justified by the time and effort needed to maintain it.

Since reverting to Version 2.4 there has also been a noticable improvement in internet browser performance.

I fully support what Comodo is trying to do with higher levels of protection but am firmly of the view that firewalls are something that should work as silently a possible in the background and not disrupt the primary use of the computer except when it comes under seriously malicious threat. Furthermore new versions should not be released unless their footprint (disk space requirement, machine resource load, user interaction etc.) is not out of proportion with the greater protection provided. I don’t believe version 3 achieves this at it’s present stage of development and really think it should still be in beta.

I do hope readers of this post will appreciate that I have not abandoned CPF entirely. I still believe that even version 2.4 is the best firewall currently available and at an unbeatable price!

After realizing how the firewall slowed down the startup process of my brand new Vista laptop n several Windows update issued cause by it, I agree and understand how Sage feels (:AGL)

Comodo 3 should still be in its beta stage but I believe that wont be long. We are all waiting for the real pro version release in the future. Keep up the good work Comodo, we are always by your side.

-Comodo fan-

I too, Think that it should be in Beta Stage or at least RC Stage, Too Many Conflicts with Vista
but I am keeping CFP 3 +denfense on my XP (everyday use computer)
(S)

I have also noticed a longer delay on start up on my laptop and older desktop, but it’s about 20 seconds and not “several minutes”.

Secondly, the Defense+ learning process is much too intrusive on the ordinary use the computers and requires a lot of monitoring and maintenance. Before uninstalling version 3 I had already disabled Defense+ for the reason that the extra level of protection was not justified by the time and effort needed to maintain it.

I completely agree with you. I’m still using version 3 with D+ disabled, but actually, version 2.4 seems to meet my needs better.

It took me maybe two hours to go through every setting in Comodo 3 and to set them to my paranoid standings. My computers have been hacked and remotely controlled since 1999. I have purchased new computers hoping to solve the problem. I have installed and abandoned over 20 firewalls and virus scanners. (maybe more).

Comodo starts up quickly, it doesn’t slow my system down. The defense+ alert are not intrusive because I get few if any, yet I am protected.

I learned after 8-9 years of being hacked how to configure my XP Professional software and I’ve finally found a firewall I like.

Hopefully TC will solve some problems…

Josh.

Yes, the mysterious TC. Do we have any idea yet what TC is and when it will become available?

I said goodbye also. Read my post.

https://forums.comodo.com/feedbackcommentsannouncementsnews/i_tried-t18458.0.html